Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Dream

Ravenkit opened her eyes. She blinked sleepily but was brought to her senses when the loud roaring of a waterfall reached her ears. She screamed and backed away from the cliff edge. If she had taken one more pawstep, she would have fallen to a watery death. A sigh echoed in the strange, unfamiliar space, startling her. Ravenkit looked in front of her and saw a black she-cat sitting on the rock ledge, staring out at the water. Her green eyes were clouded with grief. "Hey, Shadefeather!" a voice called. "What are you doing?" The dark furred she-cat raised her head slowly to face the small black tomcat that was racing towards her. The tom had green eyes that were similar to hers, but he was much more lively than her, as if she carried some sort of burden that had aged her greatly. "Nothing of any importance, Shadowpaw," she murmured. "Go back to camp and fetch the tansy leaves for me, like I asked." Shadowpaw shook his head. "I can't, not while you're acting like someone died." Looking curious, he said, "Did someone die?" Shadefeather managed to smile. "No, but a part of me did." "What part of you?" She turned away from him. "My heart." Shadowpaw looked alarmed, and he padded over to sit beside his mentor, placing his unruly tail onto her back to comfort her. "What happened?" Ravenkit listened with interest. Somehow the two cats that were talking together hadn't noticed that she was there yet. Shadefeather trembled slightly. She seemed to almost be in tears. "I have broken the warrior code," she cried. "I didn't mean to, but my mistake will hurt me in the near future. I just know it." Shadowpaw seemed very concerned now. "What have you done? Whatever it is, I will forgive you for it no matter what." Shadefeather purred. "I know you will, Shadowpaw, but I am not sure if my Clanmates will." She took a single breath, and then replied to him. "I have had kits of my own." Shadowpaw's eyes widened. "Great Starclan, kits! Shadefeather, how could you?" Shadefeather shook her head slowly. "I was in love, and I was foolish, but I have seen you around Snowpaw, my dear. You are in love too." Shadowpaw looked embarrassed. "How do you know that?" "I just know." She let out another sigh. "It is easy to fall in love, but hard to get out of it." There was a slight pause, and then Shadowpaw asked, "Who is the father?" Shadefeather's voice grew quiet, but Ravenkit still heard every word. "Cloudstar." "Cloudstar? But that would make them half Dawnclan and half Moonclan! What will you do with them?" The medicine cat looked more distraught then before. "I will give them to one of the nursing queens here, Ripplepool. With her kit dying of greencough, she will take my kits and keep my secret. I'm sure of it." "You're just going to give them away? But...how? Won't you miss them?"  Shadefeather looked back at him with so much sadness that Ravenkit felt like crying. "Of course I will...but I could never raise them properly. If I were to be their mother, I would have to leave my duties behind and  everything else that I have ever known." She closed her eyes. "My decision is final. I will give them to Ripplepool tonight, and she will raise them as her own." She unsheathed and sheathed her claws from sorrow and anger at herself. "At least I will get to watch them grow up." The sky had darkened significantly, and Shadowpaw looked tired. He still had kit fluff around his ears, so he had to have been made into an apprentice recently. "Come back to camp with me, Shadefeather," the little tomcat meowed. "You could show me the kits before you give them away, and you need your sleep." The medicine cat stretched and looked at him, seeming a bit happier than before. "Alright. Let's go." "What are their names?" "Rainkit and Darkkit." Moonstar's voice echoed in Ravenkit's mind, and the vision of the waterfall and the cliff overlooking it faded away, along with the medicine cat and her young apprentice. "Rain brings life, but darkness only brings death and destruction. Fury will end the dark, but shadows will still linger in the forest." Suddenly the screeches and cries of fighting and dying cats filled her ears. Terrified, Ravenkit ran and ran, but the noises seemed to follow her. Another voice saved her from her torment. "Ravenkit, Ravenkit!"