Chapter 2- Merry Ambush

As soon as the horses were readied, they rode out, all dressed in shining chainmail, their crimson red cloaks flowing starkly against the green of the forest foliage surround them, Merlin was in tow, bringing up the rear of the party.

The normal banter ensued, with Percival and Gwaine fiercely arguing about whether women preferred brawn or beauty in a man, Elyan sniggering away as Leon just grinned exasperatedly at their antics.

"Perce, I'm telling you, anyone could be buff, but have you got all of this." Gwaine gestured to himself smirking as he shook his hair back from his face confidently, causing everyone there to roll their eyes.

"What about brains?" Merlin cut in quickly causing them to stop their bickering, he carried on quickly, "What? You never know, a woman could appreciate that?" It's not like either of you have got one." The manservant grinned cheekily.

"Oh shut up Merlin, you wouldn't know a pretty girl if she slapped you in face." Arthur mocked causing the knights to roar with laughter as they continued to ride through the undergrowth.

"You wouldn't know one if she lived in the palace and worked for you." Merlin scoffed under his breath, unfortunately for him the knights had stopped laughing at that very moment and Arthur whipped around furiously in his saddle, whacking his servant round the back of his head with his leather  glove, "Shut up Merlin!"

Suddenly came the faint sounds of clashing swords filled their ears, distracting them from the reverie as they rode deeper into the heart of the forest.

Kicking his horse into an immediate gallop, Arthur screamed, "On me!"
as they hurried closer to the source of the fighting.

A clearing quickly appeared to them, and they took in the scene before them.

An upturned merchant wagon lay in the centre, and surrounding it were several duels at once. Nobleman armed with swords defending themselves alongside their armed guards- likely paid mercenaries defending whatever precious goods lay inside.

It looked like a losing battle though, as more bandits appeared from the forest, as if out of thin air, dressed in the dark green and brown clothes, they blended right in, a blur against the forest background as they fought with surprising skill for common criminals, wildly and without abandon.

"For Camelot!" Arthur roared as they jumped off their mounts and ran right into the fray, quickly evening the odds, their steel glinting as they wielded their swords fiercely.
Merlin stood back, collecting the abandoned horses, before they startled. Staring intently at the fighting the sun would oddly reflect in his eyes every now and then. And, as if the weather was playing up, a few gusts of wind unbalanced bandits or rolled sticks underfoot, tripping them.

After a few minutes, it became clear there was an archer in the trees, as Arthur scanned the treetops hastily, he could see no attacker, despite deadly arrows raining down upon them. Even with his magical sight, Merlin could only deduce that there was either many archers up the trees, or a single fast moving one, moving so quickly, unseen from tree to tree, that it would be impossible.

So quiet they almost didn't hear it, a low cooing sound, identical to a barn owl, came echoing from the canopy above, and gods above, the change was instantaneous.

The bandits that had been wildly duelling at arms length, switched their attack within seconds, almost transforming them into perfect machines as they deftly and expertly disarmed every single knight save for Arthur, Gwaine and Percival (who'd actually dropped his sword minutes before, taking to smashing his opponents with his bare hands).

Looking around them, and realising that every single of their companions was currently being held at knifepoint. Surrounded, they paused, each man panting heavily.

"Arthur," Gwaine mumbled out of the corner of his mouth, "How are we getting out of this?".
Arthur turned away from the man, looking at the distressed pair: Elyan and Leon, and just opened his mouth the reply with, well he didn't know what, when there was a soft thud behind him, and a sharp intake of breath.

Whipping around, he was met with an frightening sight.
Gwaine, utterly perturbed, stood before him, and behind him, holding him so close it could almost be a lovers embrace, was a slightly shorter figure, cloaked in the green of the trees, their face concealed, except for the eyes, with a scrap of wraparound cloth.

"Hello Arthur Pendragon." Rasped a deep, muffled voice coolly from behind the mask.
Arthur could only see their eyes, bright green and shining with... mischief? He couldn't quite tell.

Instinctively he gripped his sword and held it higher, but this only drew a disappointed tut from the figure, who whistled lowly, and to Arthur's great surprise, and horror, more men materialised from the camouflaged areas; restraining the rest of his knights with tight rope. One of them had found Merlin, dragging him by his scraggly neckcloth into the thicket.

"I wouldn't do that if we're you, Majesty," the voice taunted mockingly, "It seems you are entirely at my mercy, ...if you care for the lives of your men that is."

The almost incapable glee in the bandits voice, caused rage to bubble up in his stomach furiously.
"And who exactly do I have the pleasure of speaking to?" He spat back angrily, lowering his sword an inch or two.

"Drop it on the floor first." The voice came again, flat with a note of disdain.

Gwaine thrashed slightly in anger, his face telling Arthur he was ready to do something stupid.
"Don't Arthur, I can take him."

A soft chuckle followed from the stranger as Arthur hushed him, "Be quiet Gwaine."

"Yes, be quiet Gwaine, and be smart, or I'll cut your hair instead of your throat."
Irritation sprang into the handsome man's eyes, followed by confusion which was echoed by the young king, "How would you know that? How did you know we'd be here?"

"Well my liege, the woods are my kingdom, whether they're on your map or not, this is my domain, and I knew you were here the moment your noisy lot thundered in, now put your sword down."

He dropped the sword, Merlin gaped at him disbelievingly.
"Just let my men go, clearly your quarrel is with me."

"Oh no no no, you have my man, so I think I'll hang on to yours."

Cold realisation swept through him, and Gwaine's eyes widened as they both came to the conclusion as to the identity of the stranger in close proximity to them.

"But I didn't think you, were actually, well.."
he trailed off, "A real person."

"A person I am indeed." The outlaw swept into a teasing bow, "Robin Hood, at your service my king."