I heard the locks unlock before walking out and ringing the doorbell. I stood on the porch for a while until the door opened.

"Hey, Ariya. Rylan's just getting his shoes on." Rylans, friends dad spoke to me. What was it? Julie? Calvin? One of them.

"You okay?" He asked, leaning on the frame of the door. I nodded with a small smile, he looked into my eyes before nodding.

"Cole on, Rylan. Your mum's waiting." He disappeared behind the door frame before coming back with Rylan.

"Mama!" He smiled. I scooped him up into my arms and hugged his small body.

"I missed you." I smiled, kissing his cheeks.

"I missed you more." He told me.

"Say bye." I told him.

"Bye!" He waved.

The door closed and I carefully stepped down the steps.

"Khyson's gonna drive us home, okay?" I whispered into his ear.

I got us both into the backseat and situated him on my lap since his booster wasn't with me. He played with my hands.

"Hi, Khyson!" He beamed.

Khyson plastered on a wide smile on his face and stared back at him through the rear view mirror.

"Hey, buddy." He smiled, keeping the interaction short.

The whole car ride Rylan played with my fingers as I buried my nose in his head, closing my eyes. I loved laying with Rylan, he calmed me.

I remember when I had just finished school and we were moving a bunch, he was just a baby. We were in this one apartment for a couple weeks, while I was making the final payments on the one we have now.

We were on an inflatable mattress, just us. I would curl him into my side every night, having conversations with him, we had each other.

"I love you." I whispered.

He craned his neck back, upside down looking up at him with a small giggle.

"I love you more."

"Mhm, not possible."

-

"Go wait for me in the bathroom, okay?" I asked, patting his back before he nodded and ran down the short hall.

"Thanks for the ride." I turned around and faced him awkwardly. 

"It's no problem." He responded.

"Well, have a good night." I smiled, lifting my leg to grasp my heel and push the door closed. Until his hand intercepted the door and I stumbled back a bit.

I opened the door and continued removing my shoes.

"I'm sorry, I don't want things to be weird, again." He spoke, stuffing his hands in his pocket with a worried sigh.

I placed my shoes on the small rack by the door and stared back up at him, blankly.

"I don't want things to be weird either, I'm just tired." I shrugged my shoulders and unhooked my necklace. He watched me tentatively with a small smile.