LETHARIA VULPINA

IKEDA'S HOUSE (JAPAN)

IKEDA: Why is it taking so long?

SHIGEKI: The doctor is on his way. He comes highly recommended...

IKEDA: [irritably] Did I ask for a professional reference? I asked why it was taking so long! That is a question of time, not quality of service. Do you think I would pay for an idiot to look at him?

SHIGEKI: No, Ikeda-sama.

IKEDA: Can any of you idiots tell me why he hasn't moved in twelve hours? No? Then where the hell is the doctor?

DEATON: Ikeda-sama, a kudite. [Japanese: "Ikeda, I apologize."]

IKEDA: [irritably] Apologize if you can't do anything. Have you worked with wolves before?

DEATON: Here and there. And what's our patient's name?

IKEDA: Yuki.

DEATON: Hello, Yuki... Now, what have you gotten yourself into, my friend? Has Yuki been around any unusual plants? Something that looks like moss? It would be bright green, almost neon. It's called lichen, and it's highly toxic. I need to know if Yuki has consumed any.

IKEDA: If he has the poison, just treat him.

DEATON: I'm sorry, but not without knowing the species. I need a sample.

IKEDA: It's in the garden. Shigeki, take him. A puremono? Suremono ho do ho ga? Dem hera so no tai no de me vri nal ho ten aga? [Japanese: "What's wrong? What is it? In this world, there are a lot of problems!"] Superstitious idiots...

FLASHBACK—IKEDA'S GARDEN, 1988

END FLASHBACK

IKEDA: Is this what you're looking for?

FLASHBACK—IKEDA'S GARDEN, 1988

END FLASHBACK

DEATON: Hold this, please.

IKEDA: You really think Yuki got in here and ate this stuff?

DEATON: Actually, I think Yuki probably doesn't come anywhere near here. I doubt if you could even drag him in. Some part of him probably senses what happened here... To your father, and the Nogitsune possessing him...This particular lichen is called letharia vulpina-- "wolf lichen." They used it to poison wolves and foxes. They'd put out pieces of meat with crushed glass and bits of the lichen in it; the glass perforated the intestines of the animal so the vulpinic acid could reach the internal organs faster.

IKEDA: What did you do to my wolf???

DEATON: Well, I didn't poison him with lichen...But, I did give him a powerful paralytic agent... The same one I put on that jar.

IKEDA: Kanima...

DEATON: I guess we both know a few things, Ikeda-sama. Born out of the blood of a Nogitsune, this lichen is quite special-- more powerful than you know.

IKEDA: [weakly] What... What are you going to use it for?

DEATON: There's a Fox hiding inside a teenage boy... and I'm going to poison it.

-----------------------------------

Scott, Sam, and Derek run as fast as they can off of the roof and through the hospital to get to the parking lot, but when they get there they find Kira in the middle of a large puddle of water that the wire had fallen in and started to electrify.