Her blue eyes darted to Zoe and back to Rebecca. "Last minute change in plans. I saw your painting and it's stunning." 

"Thank you." Rebecca's smile was infectious, and Zoe felt her lips curl into a grin. "Maddy, this is Zoe Thornton." 

"Ah, the Muse." 

"What?" Zoe glanced between the two friends. 

Maddy smiled and held her hand out. "Nice to finally meet you. I've seen you at school with that tall guy." She leaned in close. "I thought you two were a couple." 

"Takota and I?" Zoe kept the look of disgust off her face. 

The blonde smiled. "Is that his name?" 

Zoe was positive her best friend would give his left arm to overhear this conversation. "Yeah, Takota Sohappy has been my best friend since we were five. He's very much single." 

"Well, good for Rebecca that you were available to come check out her work. It wouldn't be the same without you." 

"I'm looking forward to seeing what she's created." 

"Go check it out and we will catch up with you later." 

"Nice meeting you." 

Rebecca took hold of her hand and laced their fingers together--sending tingles down her arm. "Let's go before someone else stops us." 

Art wasn't her thing, but she enjoyed watching Rebecca in her element. They passed pictures of farms, the forest and even a naked man who looked as uncomfortable as Zoe felt looking at him. 

"There it is!" Rebecca led her over to a large canvas. 

Zoe's mouth fell open in shock. The painting was of her out in the forest with red and black butterflies nesting in her hair and on the tip of her finger. 

"That explains the muse comment." She didn't think she was pretty, but in this image she was beautiful. 

"Do you like it?" 

"I... it's...yeah, I do." 

Her throaty giggle warmed Zoe's insides. "That is exactly the response I was hoping for." 

"I mean, no." 

Rebecca gasped. "What?" 

"I love it." She leaned in to peck Rebecca's cheek, but the artist captured her lips in a soft, lingering kiss. Zoe fantasized about this moment more times than she cared to count but nothing could compare to the sweet warmth of her touch. 

The art tinted air filled her nose as the moment between them came to an end. 

"Rebecca, there you are my dear," bellowed a woman that reminded Zoe of a flamingo with her pink dress and black pumps. She strutted over like she was a model. The two gave each other a kiss on both cheeks in greeting. 

"Is this her?" 

Rebecca nodded and said, "Vanessa Comfrey, this is Zoe Thornton, my date." 

"Enchante," Vanessa said as she held her hand out. 

Zoe shook the strange woman's hand. "Nice to meet you." 

"You too, you too. What do you think of the painting? I believe her piece is the best new artist work ever shown here. Fabulous, just fabulous I say." 

Zoe placed a hand on her chest. "I'm not only flattered but moved by her work." 

"As you should." The flamingo's pink lips drew into a smile. 

Zoe jolted as her phone vibrated against her hip and rang her mom's cell phone song. "Sorry, I have to take this." 

"Okay, but don't be too long. There are some people I'd like to introduce you to." 

She stepped out onto the second-floor balcony. "Hi Mom." 

"Zoe," her voice sounded panicked. "I need you to come to the hospital right now." 

"Is it Dad? Is he okay?" Her voice raised several octaves. 

"He's alive, but not breathing on his own." 

A lump formed in her chest, squeezing the air from her. "I'll be there in a few minutes." 

"Hurry, Baby Girl." 

She must have looked terrible because Rebecca asked, "Is everything okay?" 

"No, I... I have to go." 

"At least tell me why." Rebecca gently squeezed her shoulder. 

"It's my dad. He's in the hospital." 

"Oh, no." 

"I need to go, can you--" 

"You're shaking like a leaf and in no condition to drive," she took the keys from Zoe's hand. "I will drive you there." 

Zoe's voice broke as she said, "This is your big night, I don't want to take you from it." 

"You are the reason I painted well enough to be featured here. I want to take care of my Muse." 

Zoe's chin trembled. "Thank you, for everything." 

"My pleasure. Now let's go."