7

The sky opened up and lightening flashed, painting the whole world shades of gray. 

Zoe struggled to keep up with Takota's long gait as they ran deeper into the forest. They moved through the dark and rugged terrain, dodging trees, fern bushes and splashing through growing mud puddles. 

Her lungs felt like they would burst from the strain of the uphill climb, but fear of what had befallen Dyani Sohappy kept her from slowing her pace. Zoe knew the trails through the woods better than the streets in town, but nothing was familiar. 

Zoe stopped next to Takota, grateful for the reprieve. She bent over and placed a hand on her knee to keep from falling over as she gasped for air. Her dad's baseball bat had grown heavy, but still made her feel safer than if she was empty handed.

"I haven't heard her yell for a while. Do you--" 

"Shh." Takota rubbed his temple as he slowly spun in a circle. He reminded her of a hunter, eyes scanning everything and not making a noise when he moved. 

Zoe's eyes watered and salty bile hit the back of her mouth, threatening to spill her stomachs contents. She covered her nose as the gassy, gagging stench of high-speed decay, the smell of death overwhelmed her. 

"It's watching us," Takota whispered. 

"I don't--" 

"No, Z. Can't you feel it?" Without looking at him, she knew he was doing that thing again. Like when he stared into the side of her head and pulled the thoughts right out. She never truly believed he was psychic, but he had an intensity to him that made her wonder if he was. 

Zoe stood in place, not moving a muscle. She strained to catch the slightest sound or movement in the foliage. 

A great hush had fallen over the forest; but it was a malefic hush. Shadows, urged by the wind, twisted languorously around them. 

Terror stole through her veins. Yes. Yes. Something is in here with them, some awful smelling thing moving through the trees beyond her vision. 

A low, rumbling growl came forth. 

Her breath stopped in a gasp. 

It wasn't wolf or coyote, and she wasn't sure if it was a bear--it didn't sound that way. A mountain lion? She'd only heard them at the zoo or the television, never in the forest. 

Ahead of them, the trunk of a tree grew wide before splitting into two as a bulky form moved from one hemlock tree to the next. There were footsteps crunching on twigs, heavy footsteps made by a heavy animal. 

Zoe couldn't make out what the animal could be, but it was huge. Much taller and wider than Takota's mother or even Mac's lanky form. A bear could be eight feet tall on its hind legs but wouldn't walk more than a few steps before returning to all four. This thing moved like a human, a very large one, with hair covering everything from head to toe. 

"What is that?" She whispered. 

Takota shook his head. "Don't know, let's find out." 

Her mind wouldn't allow her to sleep ever again if she didn't figure this out. Nodding in agreement, she said, "Be careful and stay low." 

They inched closer, hiding behind trees and bushes for a sense of protection that they didn't really provide. 

Fear shot through her body, paralyzing her as she watched a large figure come closer while staying out of a clear line of sight. The human face on the towering animal was shocking. Its yellow eyes were wise and seemed to know secrets, an ancient truth hidden in them. 

"It's Ste ye hah. Run, Z!" Takota yelled as he darted back the way they came. 

Her mind begged her to flee, to run home and lock the deadbolt, but she didn't believe what it was she was staring at. She lifted the baseball bat, ready to swing and rationalized that the animal couldn't be Bigfoot, no way was that possible. 

The beast growled, showing rows of human-like teeth; the intensity shook her insides and warned her she was in mortal danger. 

She trembled so badly that the baseball bat fell from her hands and rolled under the nearby ferns. She broke free of her paralysis and ran after Takota. She could feel--and almost hear--her heart pounding in her chest. Her head whirled and blood pulsed at her temples. 

Loud crashing noises and footsteps chased after her. 

Something grabbed her foot, sending her crashing to the damp earth. Something snapped and her leg throbbed. She rolled over and scurried backwards into a tree. 

Her eyes darted about, left and right, trying to find the shadow in the dark. "Oh no," she gasped realizing she was leaning against spooky tree, up Culver Ridge. Then she glanced over to her right and saw yellow eyes amid the black of the shadowy bushes. Their eyes met briefly, then the glowing yellow disappeared followed by flashes of green light. 

Where is it? she asked herself in her mind. Is it gone? Oh, I hope so. If I survive, I swear I'll never come here again. 

She didn't hear anything. No growls, no beast's breathing, no rustle of bushes. Just blackness and silence, all around her. 

"Zoe, where are you?" Takota's voice called to her. 

"Zoe!" Dyani hollered. 

White beams of light scared the shadows away and her friend's footsteps grew louder. 

A sense of relief filled her as she rose to her feet. With shaky, spastic legs, she slowly stepped back on the beaten path. 

"Here she is," Mac said. 

Zoe hobbled towards the light, not looking back for fear Bigfoot would be there.