"That's... stupid! That's dumb, you're dumb!"

"We'll have to see about that."

It was best not to anger the Servant at this moment. Team RWBY was still recovering but he was ready to fight. She decides to move offtopic.

"How'd he find you, though?"

"During the same day as a great fire. I can't remember much, but, I do remember the day he saved me and the day he died."

"He died sitting next to me, how do you remember that?"

"That's... strange. He also died sitting next to me. He closed his eyes peacefully and simply laid down. It's possible that the Kiritsugu Emiya you have summoned maybe from a different world, or I am from a different world."

"Weird." Ruby rubs her chin. Maybe this was the wrong Kiritsugu she'd summoned? "How'd he save you, though?"

"Allow me to explain."

Many years ago...

Emiya Kiritsugu walks through the burnt wasteland. The aftermath of the Fourth Holy Grail War. Everything around him burnt and crashed to the ground.

He didn't look like the way he was before. Whereas he would usually look like a cold killing machine with no emotions whatsoever, he looked... depressed.

The Holy Grail had manifested itself in the form of his lover not too long ago.

It told him that his morality had killed more people than he'd saved.

He was in denial at first, but now he saw it. It didn't lie.

Because he meddled in business he didn't understand, this had happened.

Not far away from his current position, a young Kirei Kotomine stands outside of the disaster. Blood runs down his face.

The reason for the blood was simply the fact that Kotomine was supposed to be dead. Emiya had shot him through the heart, but when the Grail's mud covered him, he had come back from the grave.

Upon noticing his rival, Kirei gasped, gritting his teeth.

"Emiya Kiritsugu?" He thought to himself, shocked that he had survived the fire. "I shall face you once more."

Kiritsugu could fully see Kotomine standing in the distance, but he didn't care. Not one bit.

Crouching down, Emiya started to claw his way through the rubble, throwing pieces of buildings to the side as he desperately looked for something. He just wouldn't stop throwing them to the side, his hands moving as fast as they could.

Something. Anything. Anyone.

He wanted to have it one last time. The sense of justice, the sense that he was doing some good in the world.

The clouds start to cover the skies.

Thunder roars as rain starts to pour down on the flames.

It felt a bit cold, but Emiya didn't care about that either.

Because he had found it.

The sense of justice he'd been longing for, it was right before his eyes.

A young, injured child who had survived the fire and the collapse of the buildings around him. He looked like he was going to die soon however.

The fact that he was still alive was a miracle in itself.

The child looked up at him with the combination of relief and sadness in his eyes.

Said child reached out towards his face, almost as if begging for help.

Wasting no time, he passed on Avalon to the young child. He wasn't going to lose another one.

Kiritsugu reached towards his right hand, gripping it.

Tears start to run down his face.

"Thank you." He weakly let out, pressing the child's hand against his face.

Kiritsugu Emiya saves and adopts Shirou Emiya in the aftermath of the Fourth Holy Grail War

Why thank you?

It's almost as if the boy was not the one who'd been saved, but the father.

He was so happy. Grateful.

Those tears were tears of joy, not sorrow.