enemies with benefits | 10

Chapter Ten: Hidden Truths

***

I spent the majority of next period trying to forget what happened. I actually shared that class with Daisy, and I could tell she had a lot to ask me - skipping was unlike me. I dreaded hearing what she'd think if she found out that wasn't the full story.

It wasn't until after class that I was confronted with this however, when we finally reached my locker. I barely managed to put my books away when Daisy confronted me with her questions. I love my best friend, but sometimes she had no chill.

"Kelsie, you've got to tell me." She exclaimed. "Where were you?"

And of course, the truth was far too messy and complicated to explain, so I resorted to shrugging my shoulders and saying nothing that would implicate what really happened.

"It's not a big deal. Just had other priorities."

Daisy raised an eyebrow. "What other priorities?"

"You know, the usual. Studying." I lied, knowing that it was one of the least believable lies I had come up with to date.

And of course my best friend saw right through me.

"Studying during class?" Daisy's tone was full of curiosity and confusion.

I nodded. "Yep. I have classes I'd like to prioritise. After all, not all of them are going to help me with college."

Daisy seemed suspicious for several more seconds until her face softened and I took that as my indication she dropped her question. As always, I couldn't be sure whether this was intentional or whether she only did that to lull me into a false sense of security. I know that if she wanted to, she could easily grill the information out of me.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised she still hadn't yet. I hadn't been the most sly about my little dalliance with Alexander.

But oh well. I'll take what I can get.

"You're strange, Kelsie." Daisy settled with saying. "Let's just hope your dad doesn't find out."

I chuckled awkwardly, hoping the same thing. Daisy was one thing, but my dad was a completely other thing. He can read me like a book.

When I shut my locker, I began tying my hair up, needing the sweat-covered strands away from my face. And that was when I got a loud and shocked gasp from Daisy, who immediately put a hand on her mouth.

I looked over at her, observing the flabbergasted glint in her eye. My eyebrows scrunched together.

"What is it?" I asked.

Daisy moved her hand away as she pointed rather indiscreetly at my neck. "There are red marks all over your neck, Kelsie, like they're... what are you not telling me?"

A cold shiver ran down my spine. Of course Alexander left hickeys on my neck - and of course I didn't notice. I had let him ravage me however he saw fit, too stuck in the moment to fully understand the implications such actions would have. And now Daisy saw them, meaning I had two options.

One; lie, and say they're some sort of rash, even though I knew they'd soon turn into more of a puce colour and my lie would be exposed.

Two; tell her the truth and lose my dignity and credibility forever.

Neither seemed like the best option, which was why I immediately scoured for a third option, and after some really slow seconds passed by, I came up with an alternative.

Three; pretend it never happened.

Promptly pulling out the tie from my hair, I let the brown strands cover up my neck, doing my best to make it look neat.