Chapter 17 - Secrets in the Shadows

Start from the beginning

"And here. The book also says that there are people with this amazing ability who don't even know they have it," Lord Galzroiruss shared, fascinated by the insights within the book.

"And they're completely clueless about it; they wouldn't even realize that they've 'accidentally' taken someone else's power," Lord Galzroiruss remarked.

"Hmm, this book isn't providing the answer I'm looking for about the child at all," Lord Galzroiruss expressed, raising his eyebrows in curiosity as he stumbled upon something intriguing in the book.

"Oh, what's this?" Lord Galzroiruss wondered aloud, eager to uncover more secrets within the pages.

"This is exactly what caught my attention when I was checking on that child!" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed, clearly surprised by what he discovered.

"Considering she was attacked with fire by the grand duke, her body temperature shouldn't be normal, but it is," Lord Galzroiruss noted.

"Her heart is responsive too, but one thing I noticed is that there are these glowing orbs inside and outside of the child's body. Oddly enough, these orbs stay close to where her injuries are," Lord Galzroiruss explained, shedding light on the mysterious aspects of the child's condition.

"And according to the book, these mysterious glowing orbs, well, the book didn't explain where or how they come about," Lord Galzroiruss shared.

"But right here, it mentions that these orbs... they actually heal a person's body after snatching an ability from someone or any living beings!" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed, absorbing the information from the book.

"Goodness gracious! Could those glowing orbs I saw really healing the child's body?" Lord Galzroiruss wondered aloud, struck by the potential significance of his discovery.

"If what's written in the book is accurate, then that implies...!!! The child has actually taken in the grand duke's power!" exclaimed Lord Galzroiruss.

"Goodness gracious, if this book is truly right, then this is a remarkable revelation!" Lord Galzroiruss expressed.

"I must go and examine the child's condition once more, see for myself if the book is telling the truth!" Lord Galzroiruss declared, a sense of happiness evident on his face as he prepared to confirm his findings.

"If it turns out to be true, that child would be my most incredible find! My name would become famous worldwide for this amazing discovery, and that child would be the proof!" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed.

"If that child can indeed absorb someone else's power, it's an extraordinary revelation in the Lazourel empire! I could use her unique ability to establish a reputation for myself once more!" Lord Galzroiruss pondered, realizing the potential impact of such extraordinary ability.

"Hahahaha! This finding of mine will make me even more famous in the empire," laughed Lord Galzroiruss, deeply engrossed in his plan, oblivious to the fact that he is no longer alone in his office.

"That child is really lucky! She already has such an amazing ability! And I'm lucky too, having met her and discovered her incredible gift! This is truly astonishing!" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed, still not realizing that there is a man standing just inches behind him.

"With her being proof of my big discovery, today is a really lucky day for me! With this important find, I can make even more money!" Lord Galzroiruss said, smiling.

"Ah, I'm really lucky to have met that chi-Ah!" Lord Galzroiruss stopped abruptly, feeling a cold knife against his neck.

"W-What... Who are you!? W-What do you want from me?" Lord Galzroiruss stammered, feeling the cold sensation of the knife.

"My lord, I consider myself fortunate to get the opportunity to assassinate you tonight," the man said with a cold tone.

"W-What?? Who do you work for!? W-Who sent you!?" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed.

"My lord, you're on the brink of death tonight, and you still want to know who hired me?" the man coldly asked, while Lord Galzroiruss could still sense the sharpness of the knife against his neck.

"I'm already facing death anyway; might as well reveal who you are," Lord Galzroiruss uttered, prompting the man to remove his mask and reveal his face.

"*Gasps* Y-You! You're that butler from Lady Cynthia's villa!" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed, noticing the familiar face on the man who then wore a sinister smile.

"Ah, you got me, my lord," he said, donning an eerie smile on his face.

"W-What have I done to upset you?" Lord Galzroiruss questioned.

"Nothing significant, my lord," he replied, maintaining that peculiar smile.

"You haven't taken action yet, but I swiftly caught on to your intentions regarding my lady," he explained, the smile fading from his face.

"W-What are you talking about!?" Lord Galzroiruss exclaimed, bewildered by the accusations.

"My lord, noticing the doubtful way you look at my lady, I can already figure out what you're thinking. Please don't deny it; I've never been wrong before," he said, smiling.

"I-I'm not sure what you mean! There might be a mistake between us!" Lord Galzroiruss protested.

"Oh? But I did hear about your plans today, my lord. Could I maybe... have misunderstood everything? Hmm?" he said, acting as if he was pondering something.

"Y-Yes! You got it wrong and misunderstood-" Lord Galzroiruss began but was cut short as he couldn't foresee what would hit him.

A small knife pierced Lord Galzroiruss's forehead, signifying the loss of another top doctor for the Lazourel Empire.

"Wrong answer," he stated, swiftly removing any evidence to avoid being discovered.

"Let's see..." he mumbled, flipping open a small notebook with 'X' marks next to the faces of individuals he had already removed from this world.

"Lord Galzroiruss, hmm... passed away on March 05 XXX precisely at midnight. And the reason for his death?" he remarked, glancing at Lord Galzroiruss's lifeless body sprawled on the floor.

"Embezzlement, involvement in child slavery or prostitution, kidnapping... what other misdeeds did you commit, Lord Galzroiruss?" he questioned, a smile playing on his lips. He then seized the knife and stabbed Lord Galzroiruss once more in the eye, maintaining that eerie smile.

"There are too many bad things, but I'm lucky to have the chance to get rid of you. My lady isn't lucky to have met you," he said, smiling in a sinister way.

"But tomorrow, my lady won't have to deal with you anymore. Isn't that really amazing, my lord?" he said, keeping that unsettling smile.

"Right. You can't respond because I've silenced you by cutting your tongue. So, my lord, excuse me. I'll be on my way, and..." he said.

"Please have a peaceful rest... forever," he added, then vanished as if he were never there.
.
.
.
.🦋