Part 32

Arthur Leywin POV

I decided to spend one more day at home before returning to school. I planned to return the following week for the Aurora Constellate, although I was aware that I had people to inform ,I felt obligated to do so.

I was resolved to spend time with my family, specifically my mother and sister, as a change of pace. My father had gone to work early in the morning after checking on me, so it was just me and the girls. Tabitha agreed to accompany them, and after a brief conversation, they decided to go shopping. It was clear to me that they were not going to take no for an answer. At the very least, I could take advantage of the opportunity to visit Xyrus Academy thereafter. According to what my parents had learned from Professor Glory, everyone was safe.

After the umpteenth store, I lost track of how many places we went. I discovered how ignorant I was when exploring the stores. The fact that the last time I'd been to the stores was shortly after I was reincarnated into this world struck me; this, combined with the reality that I had no notable equipment aside from my blade, prompted me to consider purchasing new gear. Back in the Ashber, I still remembered being slung on Mother's back and seeing all of the little tents full with products.

"Arthur there is actually an elixir and equipment store not too far from here if you would like to take a look whilst we go into these shops." Aunt Tabitha said to me.

Elixirs didn't really pique my interest. I doubt any elixirs would help me break through the white stage. However, new equipment could be useful.

"Sure I'll go take a look." I replied as she pointed and briefly explained where it was.

My face scrunched up in bewilderment after following the directions and turning the corner.

This was a store, right?

Thugs presumably exploited this tiny alleyway to mug unwary passers-by when I turned the corner. There was a decrepit shack at the end of the short passageway that even rodents wouldn't want to live in. The wooden boards that made up the store appeared to have been painted with moss and fungus, and a musty, stale air drifted towards me. At the very least, it went well with the sickly green weeds coming out from the store's basement, as if they, too, didn't want to be there.

WINDSOM'S MAGE STORE

To read the carved title on the angled sign, which had been just dangling on a single nail, I had to tilt my head.

Was it true that they sold anything there? If they marketed bottled diseases and poisons, I'd be less astonished.

Suddenly my instincts kicked in and I swung a blade of pure mana down and whipped my body to the side. I came to a complete stop when I noticed an elderly gentleman laying on the ground.

What was that? Why did this man's massive mana signature appear and then vanish?

What is wrong with me? I don't think he even has a core.

"Please accept my apologies." I reached into my pocket and handed him a silver coin. "Please accept this as a sign of my apology."

"It's all right, young man." He said. His face was pale from shock but something told me it wasn't because I almost hit him. Regardless I closed my eyes and sighed in relief. But as soon as I opened my eyes he was gone.

What is going on seriously?

Sighing once again I made my way inside the store.

"Hello young man." I was greeted by the old man in the alleyway.

I couldn't help but show my surprise.

"Ahh hello sir. Once again I apologise for earlier." I said sincerely.