Chapter 6: Mai's Request

Sunlight pours through your door window onto your face. You slowly open your eyes, blinking the sleep away. You lay on your back for a while, blinking away the grogginess. Then you sit up, stretching your arms. You pull the sheets off and stand up, still stretching.

You saunter over to your mirror, grabbing your uniform. You take off your pajamas and pull on your Survey Corps outfit. Tying your (h/c) hair into a ponytail again, you find the bandana that wraps around your hair. Walking to the door, you slip on your sandals and open the door, the sun shining brightly in your eyes as soon as you do.

You meet Rei in front of Galaxy Hall, "Good morning, (y/n)! I have something important to explain to you. I got a request to handle something for a Diamond Clan member; her name's Mai. It might actually be something for you rather than me since you're so much stronger than me..." He says, locking eyes with you. "But I've gotta meet with her to introduce you. But I've got an idea before we go." He turns and sprints to the other side of the village. "Meet me at the Training Grounds!"

Before making your way to the Training Grounds, you stop by the general store, buying a few supplies. You purchase some Potions and store them in your satchel as you make your way to the Grounds.

"What is it you need Rei?" You ask, stopping in front of him.

"I was wondering if you can help me and my partner Pokémon, Pikachu, in battle." Pikachu steps out from behind its owner, making a cry. Rei looks down at his partner, explaining the help he needs to work with Pikachu better.

"I want to work with Pikachu to become a better team. And we can do that by battling you!" He stands at one end of the battle ground.

You walk to the side opposite of him, "Alright, let's do this!" You take Cyndaquil's ball out of your satchel. Rei instructs Pikachu to the center of the battle arena as you throw your Poké Ball.

In two ember attacks, Rei's Pokémon faints. Cyndaquil bounces over to you as you jump with join, remaining undefeated. You pick up Cyndaquil and hold him in your arms, walking over to Rei.

He's tending to Pikachu as you do the same with Cyndaquil, "The way you fight alongside your Pokémon...you don't seem scared of battling one bit." He says in awe, looking into your (e/c) eyes.

"Battling with my Pokémon helps me to grow stronger and understand them better," You return Cyndaquil to its ball. "I get the feeling you're not as strong with Pikachu as you want to be." You add, titling your head.

He nods, "Yes, Pikachu has a habit of attacking, that's why he normally stays in his ball. But I hope one day we'll establish a relationship that's as strong as yours is with your Pokémon!" Rei smiles at his partner then turns to you.

"Let's return to the Fieldlands Camp. We have to meet Mai down there, remember?" He reminds you, leaving the Training Grounds.

Before you have a chance to follow, Captain Zisu introduces herself and her job within the Security Corps. You mentally take notes about the agile and strong move types. You thank her and meet up with Rei at the base camp.

*********************

You stand atop the small hill overlooking the Obsidian Fieldlands: Aspiration Hill. Your ears detect soft footsteps behind you, making your brows narrow and your eyes roll to one side. Not knowing who it is, you spin around and grab the person's left wrist. You twist the wrist, making the person's arm twist along with it. The person leans slightly to the left, gritting their teeth.

You look at the person and gasp, pulling your hand away to cover your mouth. Your cheeks were pink as Volo grabbed his left wrist with his other hand, "You've got quite the fighting side, (y/n)." He shakes his left hands then looks at you, your hand still covering your mouth.

"Volo I am so sorry! I didn't know who was behind me! It was out of instinct!" You explain, retracting your hand to grab his wrist. There was a slight red mark from your grip.

He chuckles, "It's quite alright (y/n), no need to worry. I'll be fine! I just came to see how you were doing." Volo tugs his backpack tighter as you explain everything you've done and what needs to be done now.

"Completing the Pokédex will get you to your goal of seeking out all Pokémon! I'm already waiting for you to complete it!" He smiles as he turns back, waving behind him to you.

You send a small wave back as your cheeks tint back to pink. You shake your head, "No no no, I cannot be having these feelings right now! Snap out of it (y/n)! You have work that needs to be done."

You jog to the bridge that has a Security Corps member blocking the way. You take out your Pokédex and show him the stamp. He steps to the side, letting you through. Walking past him, you meet up with Rei and another woman. You can already sense the kindness radiating from her through her gaze upon you.

"My, my... A new face in the village? Not that it matters to me if you're new, I just need some help. I am one of the wardens of the Diamond Clan. You may call me Mai. I have a problem that I need help solving. But I ask this: Do you feel confident that you can lead your Pokémon in battle?"

You nod with a smile as she explains her and her partner, Munchlax's story. She then challenges you to a battle, seeing if you are really as confident as you claim.

Defeating Munchlax took a bit longer than usual but only one of your Pokémon fainted. Mai heals the Pokémon that battled as she explains her situation.

"I need someone to deal with an alpha Pokémon causing trouble upon Deertrack Heights. There is a special Pokémon upon Deertrack Heights that is directly descended from a Pokémon blessed with Almighty Sinnoh's protection." She looks back at you, "Do you know who Almighty Sinnoh is?"

"Isn't it the one that created everything?" You blurt out, causing Mai's eyes to widen.

She nods, "More or less. Now, let's go to Deertrack Heights to stop the alpha." She walks along the path with Munchlax.

Rei tells you that he is going to get the Professor. You nod and follow after Mai, catching a few new Pokémon along the way. You meet up with Mai at your destination and prepare yourself for the fight ahead.

______________________________________

Word Count: 1,139