Chapter 4: The Trial

It doesn't even take a minute to defeat Togepi. Volo brings his Pokémon back into its ball and congratulates you. Cyndaquil got more experience from battling and it learned a new move.

"Isn't battling fun? Pokémon will gain experience from battles and grow stronger! Let me help heal our Pokémon." Volo says while extending his hand out, asking for your Poké Ball. You give it to him and he nurses Cyndaquil back to full health. Volo hands you your Pokémon back and rewards you in Potions and a thank-you for battling him.

"I hope you'll be successful on that trial of yours!" His steel gray eye stares deeply into your (e/c) ones before turning around, leaving the village.

Rei turns to you after Volo disappears, "If you're that good at battling, the trial might not be so hard for you." He motions you to follow him, "Let's go to the Obsidian Fieldlands! Meet me there!" He yells as he runs off to the Fieldlands.

You jog into the Obsidian Fieldlands and meet Rei at a base camp. He reminds you of the trial and which Pokémon you have to catch.

You stand next to Rei, looking out into the Obsidian Fieldlands. "This area is bigger than I expected..." You say scanning the environment.

"No need to worry (y/n), the three Pokémon you need are all in a short radius of one another." Just as he finishes, a Bidoof comes hopping out of the grass. Rei points to it, "There's Bidoof. Bidoofs won't run away when you come close to it, unlike other Pokémon. This should be an easy catch."

He runs ahead and you start after him but stop, catching something out of the corner of your eye. You turn your head to the left and squint, thinking you saw a mix of blue and yellow...

"Hurry up, (y/n)!" You snap your head back to Rei's voice. You look back at the area you were trying to see but give up, believing it was just your imagination. You swiftly throw the ball at Bidoof and catch it. Picking it up and stuffing it in your satchel, you catch up the Rei.

He explains how skittish Starlys can be and how you need to be quiet and hide in grass to catch it successfully. After his explanation, Rei runs ahead once again. You crouch down and moce into the tall grass, shielding yourself from the Pokémon. Once you have a good view, you throw the Poké Ball at a Starly. It bounces once and is caught. You scare the other Starlys away as you pick it up and walk to Rei.

He's standing next to a tree with objects on its branches, "Throw any of your Pokémon at this tree." He instructs.

You bring out Cyndaquil's ball and throw it at the tree, releasing the Pokémon. Cyndaquil causes the tree to shake, dropping the items on the branches. Rei picks them up and puts them into your satchel for you, explaining why the objects found on trees and in certain rocks are helpful.

"Now you've got to catch a Shinx," He says as you both walk farther.

"There it is. Shinx." He extends his arm out in front of you, stopping you. The Pokémon makes a cry. "Shinx has an aggressive personality. Once aggressive Pokémon get wound up, they'll knock away any balls you throw. The only way to catch them is to battle them! Weaken them in battle and then throw a Poké Ball at them!" Rei smiles at you, "This is the last Pokémon you need! You've got this!"

You take a couple of steps forward, your Pokémon's ball in hand when Shinx is already charging at you! You're quick to react and you throw the ball, releasing your starter.

Once you weaken Shinx, you throw a Poké Ball at it. After a bounce you hear a 'click' and pick up the ball. You wipe your forhead in relief of catching all three Pokémon. You hear Rei gasp behind you.

"That's it...you did it! You've completed your trial!" He exclaims. "Let's go and report back to Professor Laventon."

You meet Laventon at the base camp, "Oho! I knew you would pass the trial easily! Congratulations! Now we should report back to Captain Cyllene. Back to Jubilife Village!" He says as he begins walking back with you and Rei following.

"You were really something out there (y/n)! I've never seen anyone catch three different Pokémon species so fast and easily, escaping with no injuries." Rei compliments you.

"Well, I honestly don't think it's as hard as you say." You shrug. Then you look up, your (e/c) eyes sparkling with excitement, "Being in the Survey Corps and helping with the Pokédex should be fun!" Rei smiles at your optimism.

The Professor turns around, "Let's no dillydally you two! You can compliment her later Rei. Captain Cyllene awaits us!" Laventon continues walking after he calls Rei out.

Both of your faces turn a light red and he walks faster, going in front of you. You can't help but giggle at his actions. You jog to headquarters and go into Cyllene's office. She congratulates you and tells you to keep the satchel.

She grabs something out of her desk and hands it to you, "This is the official uniform of the Survey Corps. Your first order is to change into this uniform and report to the commander on the third floor!"

You nod your head, understanding then retreat back to your quarters. You take your clothes off and put on your uniform and uniform sandals. You look at it in the mirror. "I look good in this uniform!" You think and you walk out of your quarters. You return to the hall and Cyllene gives you another clothing item that goes around your hair. You pull your (h/l) (h/c) hair up into a ponytail and wrap it around your hair.

You walk up the stairs to the third floor. There was only one room, unlike the other floors. A man stands in front of a desk and when his eyes scan over you, you get chills down your spine.
______________________________________

Word Count: 1,030

A/N: Two chapters in one day, wow! I am starting on chapters 5 and 6 now and I will publish them asap!

Till Next Time!