111 Years Later

It is 111 years later after World War III on Post World War III Planet Earth and the world is still trying to recover from the devastating side effects left by the radiation poisoning but no one really knows the long term side effects of it and what it would do.

The year is 2270, a young 15 year old girl watches her entire family succumb to the long term side effects of radiation poisoning along with her beloved fiance.

Karissa Elizabeth Ann Lowell is 15 years old in 2270, and she goes to live with relatives, but in 2271 they can no longer take care of her as they have their own children and food is being rationed out by food coupons.

The Lewis drive Karissa to San Francisco Star-Fleet Command where she will be placed into a relocation program for war orphans.

In the waiting room at Star-Fleet Command are 499 other war orphans between 15-18 years old waiting to be transported to either Star Base 10 or Star Base 12.

All 500 young people board the USS Republic with Captain Archer at the helm and one by one they are shown their quarters and they are told that there is a library, music room, recreational hall, mess hall that serves three meals a day, a commissary and a garden board the USS Republic for them to use during their five year long journey.

Captain Archer tells them " We have a short stop over at Talos IV and then we are headed for Star Base 10 and we will arrive there on April 1, 2274, and finally orbit around Star Base 12 on May 1, 2274."

"I am not sure why Star-Fleet Command wants us to orbit around Talos IV but it is a command." Captain Archer explains.

Star-Fleet Command was secretive about Talos IV and it had a dark secret that not even The United Federation of Planets wanted to tell.

All of the young people gather in the mess hall for their first meal with the rest of the crew and Karissa sits at a table by herself until a young officer named Lt. Decker walks up to her "May I join you. I don't like sitting with crowds and listening to them jam their jaws." Lt Decker states.

"No. I am myself the same way." Karissa tells him.

"I am Lt. Matthew Decker." Lt Decker tells her " My dad was once a Star Fleet Commander on the USS Constitution."

"I am Karissa." Karissa tells him " I am headed for Star Base 12."

"Why Star Base 12 and why not Star Base 10?" Lt. Decker asks.

"It wasn't my choice, believe me." Karissa answers.

"I was left a war orphan and the relatives who were taking care of me could no longer afford to do so." Karissa states, "By the time I arrive on Star Base 12 I will be close to 19 years old."

"You are very young to be traveling by yourself as are the rest of the young people." Lt. Decker tells her.

"I am afraid none of us had a choice in the matter as we are war orphans." Karissa tells him.

"I am afraid that the United Federation of Planets miscalculated the long term side effects of radiation." Lt. Decker explains.

"They knew the short term side effects but not the lingering long term side effects that might take place years later." Lt. Decker admits.

"I was not affected and thanks to Odin it didn't affect my ability to have children." Karissa tells him.

"One day I hope to find the right young man if I ever do one again and marry and start a family ." Karissa confesses.

"What do you to one the USS Republic?" Karissa asks.

"I am a navigator on the deck." Lt. Decker states, "I work every day but on the weekends I am off."