Chapter 3

Letting Go

Chapter. 3

"Ok, come on, you are telling me that you think my brother is hot?" Chloe says and her volume starts to rise. "That is like saying Johnny Depp is the hottest man alive!" She says louder. Kennedy huffs and sits back into the booth with her arms crossed.

"Johnny Depp is hot..." Kennedy says. I laugh while sipping my orange milkshake while the two girls are fighting. At this point we have gathered attention from a crowd and all eyes were on Chloe.

Chloe looks at me and throws her hands up in defeat.  "Collins! You're supposed to help me out on this! I mean Rocco is practically your brother too!"

I sigh and look at the both of them. "Look, Rocco is a very attractive guy there is no denying that. However, I have seen him bite his toenails and burp in a girls face, during a make out session, on the Harroff family couch." I say trying to ease the tension.

Chloe and Rocco have a weird relationship. They pretend they don't like each other half the time, but really they are good friends and are extremely protective of each other. Hence the screaming battle between Chloe and Kennedy.

"Hot." Kennedy says in response to my gruesome observations.

Anna Beth scrunches up her face and shakes her head disapproving. "No Kennedy, that is disgusting. Why would you ever want that?"

"I don't know... At least he would keep you on your toes at all times." She says in rebuttal.

"Yes, and just think, you could save money by not having to get your toes done from now on, since he could trim them with his teeth!" I tease at Kennedy.

I knew I said just the right thing when Oreo milkshake went spewing from Anna Beth's mouth onto table between us. Chloe started wheezing and put a hand over her stomach to stop the pain.

Kennedy turns a dark shade of red and looks out the window away from us. I grab her hand as a nice gesture. "Hey! I'm kidding!" I tell her.

"I know, but you guys never think that anyone I choose is cute." She says. Most the time this is true. After all, her previous choices in men were either older than 30 or taken. I don't understand her choices, but I try not to judge considering I chose Jamison.

"Not true! Johnny Depp does have some potential!" I say and she laughs. "Plus, I would rather you have a crush on Rocco than Mr. Flynn the mail man again."

"Mr. Flynn is cute!" She defends.

Anna Beth laughs and raises and eyebrow at our friend. "What about Mr. Dun the electrician?"

"That... was a lapse in judgement." Kennedy admits and we all laugh.

I shake my head remembering her obsession with him. "A lapse of judgement? You ripped your light switch out of the wall to have him come back to your house!" I say to her.

She starts blushing and covers her face with her hands. "I'm sorry, but I did what needed to be done!"

"You mean you did what needed to be dun." Chloe quotes Mr. Dun's catchphrase.

We all giggle and continue to draw attention without a care in the world. Finally, I stand up and brush the French fry crumbs off my skirt. "Well, ladies, we can't shop from the restaurant! What do you say that we hit the stores?"

They all nod and grab their bags. Chloe starts to quickly make her way to the door and screams "shot gun!" while letting the doors close in our face. I laugh and shake my head at my best friend. "You would think when we hit 17, she would have stopped calling shot gun like a child." Anna Beth says to me.