Simply Lovelorn-Keys

Start from the beginning

"How about I help?"

* * * * *

Three days later, I was still glued to my laptop. The door opened and I instantly heard Y/N quietly singing.

"But it's just a sweet sweet fantasy baby. When I close my eyes, you come and you take me. It's so deep in my daydreams. But it's just a sweet, sweet fantasy baby."

I listened to Y/N's voice echo through the apartment, but I kept typing away.

"Keys?" Y/N stopped singing and called out. "You home?"

"In my room," I called back. I heard my door open more but didn't turn around. Y/N sighed as she walked in. She gently put her hands on my shoulders and leaned her chin on the top of my head.

"I was going to ask you what you're doing," she whispered, "but I could answer that question myself. You're working on your game."

"I'm so close," I sighed.

"You said that three months ago," Y/N mumbled. She stood up and hesitated before squeezing my shoulders. I turned around as she started to leave.

"Y/N," I sighed, "please don't do that."

"Do what?" She asked, wrapping her arms around herself and turning toward me.

"You hate when I get hyperfocused on a code," I said, leaning my elbows on my knees.

"You stop eating," she said, looking at her shoes. "Don't you remember the last time you got focused on a code? It was your senior project. I came home from class and you were barely conscious. I had to call an ambulance."

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"At least take a break," she said, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Please? I ordered a pizza. It should be here soon. Come take a break and eat something. We could watch a movie or something."

My heart sank when she rubbed her arms. She only did this when she started to overthink something. She looked up, her eyes hopeful when I stood up. I grabbed her hand and led us to the other room. We sat on the couch and started looking for a movie.

Two movies and an entire pizza later, Y/N started to fall asleep. I leaned her over so she was resting on my shoulder. I looked down and my heart got caught in my throat when I saw her smiling in her sleep. This was another thing I secretly loved about Y/N.

If I were to create a video game character based on Y/N, she wouldn't necessarily be the one that everyone wanted to be. She would be the one that only the best players used. The one that, if you knew how incredibly amazing she was, she'd be unstoppable.

I turned the movie off and sighed. I looked over at Y/N and moved some hair out of her face. I couldn't resist as I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

I carefully sat up and picked her up bridal style. I froze when she cuddled more into my chest. I carried her down the hall and to her room. I softly kicked her door open and walked in. I laid her down and slowly pulled her blanket up to her chin.

After watching her sleep for a few beats, I forced myself to leave her room. I went back to coding my game but my mind was on Y/N.