Chapter 12

"Did you say something to the king?" I heard a familiar voice speak. And although she did not take the name, I know it was meant for me.

 Sigh.

Sighing is all I could do.

 I turned back to the Queen Mother who was standing there, looking at me with fire in her eyes. The fire, that burns when you are angry. The fire, that burns when you are determined. And I am sure she was determined to throw me out. Out of this palace.

But none of it mattered.

 I realized I just had to count my days, and survive, not in the palace, but in this world somehow. 

Although I wasn't optimistic, I wanted to believe that I'll be out of here, out of this place for good. It was just a matter of one year.

I walked up to her. I hope she did not expect respect for her, from my end, because that is not going to happen.

 Never.

"I am not ready for this. Let's continue next time. Mm?" I left her looking at me in shock. 

I did not care. My exhaustion had taken over my rationality. I left the place, to go back to the room allotted to me.

I don't know what I was so mad about. It's not people haven't been rude to me in 2069.

 They have.

 More than this. Far more than this.

 But still I haven't been so disappointed, so distressed as I was now. I don't know why, but it bothered me.

 His rudeness.

If I have to be honest, I somehow wanted to make the king pleased. Pleased and happy at my presence. 

The same way, like my coffee did. The same way like my name did.

I locked my room, and changed in to one of Ela's dresses. Although I wouldn't sleep in an attire like that if I would have been in 2069. But I was not. And in comparison to the outfit that I was in, anything else would prove to be comfortable.

Was I not adjusting? Was I not trying hard? Why was it not enough?

I had slept through the remaining day, just like the previous one. I woke up at around midnight again. I wanted to go out, maybe just have another cup of coffee to myself but I was scared of seeing him again.

 I did not want to meet anyone from the royal family. 

Not now, not anytime soon.

So I just laid in my bed, playing some offline music to myself. Keeping the volume to a minimum, so as not get caught. I knew the heavy built men, would be still standing outside my door.

I knew this was coming. This fatigue, the one that keeps you awake at night despite how tired you are. The one that stays, even after a good long sleep.

But I did not expect it to be here so soon.

I wondered if this is how a female feels, once she is married off. Working her ass off and trying her level best to fit in a family, she does not even know.

I wonder why did I even think of that reference. But it made sense.

What I was trying to do was: to get involved; with the royal family, with the royal people. I did not have to actually do that.

I could just keep to myself, away from those people. I mean, Brinda was still a good company to be with. 

And if I am not around them; when there is no 'me', there are no mistakes.