( 𝟎𝟔𝟑 ) teaching beth to hunt

Start from the beginning

"I can't. Not really." Nate admitted, shrugging his shoulders as Beth stood up and carried on walking in the correct direction, Nate raising a brow in surprise when she hadn't even looked back to check she was going in the right direction; the girl had the confidence you need to hunt, and he knew from just that idea, that she was going to be a great hunter and tracker. "I wasn't great at first, then Zoe told me I needed to be more kind with my words, 'cause I was gettin' frustrated with her. I remember her saying that I was acting like Shane, then I completely changed my tactics." He informed his brother, laughing at how he remembered being so offended at being called Shane. Ain't no way he was going to be called that bastards name.

"Shane.. Wow." Daryl chuckled, knowing that he would have hated being told he was acting like that man; he was a complete psychopath.

"Yeah. That really pissed me off." Nate said, looking to the side to see a small smile on his older brothers face, one that he hadn't seen himself since Merle had died. The Dixon's had been through a lot, and they had lost one of their own, but they were still standing, and that alone, was enough reason for them to want to carry on going. "But she's a great tracker, now. So I guess her words helped, in a way." He added, knowing that she didn't mean anything harsh by calling him Shane, that day, he was just in a mood, and the girl knew that, and she used to love getting under his skin.

The two brothers stopped in their tracks when they saw Beth holding up Darl's crossbow, where she believed the walker was, "Are we close?" The girl asked Nate and Daryl, not keeping her eyes off of the tree line in front of her. Nate was proud of how far she had come with tracking, since at first, she had no confidence, and she wasn't getting the hang of things, but now, she was getting much better, and they had only been at it for a few hours.

"Almost." Nate told Beth, looking down at the tracks in the soil then back up at the tree line, knowing that the walker was right through that tree line.

"How do you know that?" Beth couldn't help but ask, not knowing how he could tell where the walker was with just one look at a single footprint on the soil. It surprised Beth at how good Nate and Daryl were at this kind of thing, but then again, they had grown up having to do this because of their dad..

"I can see the signs. You'll learn how to read them with more practice." Nate informed the blonde girl, having been following her moves the whole time and knowing which direction the walker was going in. "You're doing good, now you just gotta figure out the next move." He added, motioning forwards as Beth began to walk onwards again, Daryl following, feeling impressed at how good Nate was at teaching her.

"What are we tracking, exactly?" Beth asked her teacher, having been tracking these prints for a while, but she couldn't tell exactly what they were even following.

"You tell me." Nate answered, not giving her any more information as he knew the girl would be able to figure out what she was tracking herself. When Beth lowered the crossbow and gave Nate a look that told him she was annoyed, the man shrugged, "You asked me to teach you. This is me teaching." He told her, raising a brow at her aggravated look.

Beth sighed, looking down at the ground once again, "Well; something came through here." She informed Nate, nothing down at the prints in the soil, the man nodding as she was correct.. "The pattern is all zig-zaggy.. It's a walker." Beth eventually came to the conclusion, turning around to face Nate to see if she had gotten it right, and already seeing him smiling at her with a small nod, knowing that she had gotten it right. She smiled, "I'm getting good at this. Pretty soon I won need either of you at all." Beth joked, carrying on walking forwards again as she tracked where the walker was headed.