xl - 𝘢𝘣𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥

Start from the beginning

"I have to go, I'm so sorry." She apologised, pulling away. "If you want, we can still keep writing. But I would understand if you would prefer not to."

The little boy nodded despondently, his lashes spiked with tears as Verity kissed the top of his head softly, returning to stand.

"You are a wonderful boy, Charlie." Verity added, the child's head lifting at her words. "Don't ever let anyone treat you less than that."

She gathered up what little there was of her things, the sickness never leaving her stomach as she did.

It wasn't as if saying goodbye to Charlie gave her any relief. In fact if anything it worsened her mood entirely, but she knew she couldn't just disappear on that little boy.

At least Tommy withheld lying about the driver, as indeed the chauffeur was waiting on the driveway at the other side of the fountain - the black car's engine chugging away steadily in the bitterly cold morning air.

The psychologist approached the car, the driver stepping out to assist with her bag and help her to the car when he saw her hobbled steps.

She glanced back at the image of the house, it's strikingly dark exterior in juxtaposition to the grey-white of the morning sky. The pain and the memories she was once again leaving behind.

Hopefully, for good this time.

-

Several car and train journeys later, towns and cities rolled into green fields and tall trees; the towering cityscrapers nowhere to be seen as Verity arrived in Castle Combe's quaint station. The platform was painted cutely in rose red and white, several coordinated hanging baskets positioned around the platform. It was a far cry from the heavily industrial feel of the stations within the cities.

Verity was mentally preparing herself for her second difficult encounter of the day, as she tried her best to walk through the pain that still thrummed in her ankle. She had taken her pain medication as prescribed, but still felt some background aching in the damaged tendon. Especially in her stupid shoes.

Before she headed to the surgery, she headed to her rented home with Ms Montgomery.

Walking through the door, she was welcomed with open arms and warmed surprise. The elder woman had bounced back well from the intrusion in her home, and thankfully didn't think to ask Verity too many questions about it.

The psychologist explained the change in situation, and that she would be leaving today. Verity promised the month's rent in a complete packet before she headed home to London, and was met with disappointment from the older woman who had enjoyed the psychologist's company in her quaint house - but was happy for Verity never the less.

The small upstairs guest bedroom was soon emptied of Verity's signs of life. The various books and trinkets around the room all packed away into her two large travel bags. Whilst she was packing, she at last got a change of clothes from the same repeatedly washed set following her tragic fall at Arrow House - welcoming the pair of soft leather ballet flats and her brown tweed shirt dress.

It was strange how so much of her 'life' could be packed into those bags. Books Henry had gifted her, sweet thank you messages from clients and some pressed flowers Ms Montgomery had made in the prior summer. They all went into the two travel bags, in hopes that Verity could at least carry the sweet memories with her once Castle Combe became the next ghost of her past.

She felt her gut knot as she headed up to the surgery with her bags, intending to call a car to collect her from there once she said goodbye to Henry.

Where would she even start? The last contact she had had with her colleague was hazy and he seemed quite rightly infuriated with her vague words and actions. She just hoped this could be an amicable goodbye, and not one filled with animosity.