Spring Festival II

Start from the beginning

I hurriedly swallowed some of the apple bits in my maw before replying. "You should've seen the pile of apples they had. I swear, they must've been stolen from another forest or something with how many there are."

Shard pawed her apple back and forth between her forepaws, eyes shifting between the red fruit and me. "Well, even with a heap of apples, I bet all of it'll be gone in two hours. It's like everyone is trying to get some!"

"Probably true." I considered my own estimate for a short while and when I settled on one, lightly shook my head. "Nah, I give it an hour, tops."

The ice fox snickered and finally bit into her apple. Juice leaked out from the apple's broken, red skin, messily dampening the cyan fur on her muzzle. She quickly wiped a forepaw around her mouth, trying to dry the area off while nervously meeting my stare. Shard suddenly leaned over to lick my nose; she timidly pulled back with a lopsided grin and bubbly giggles. I scooted over so our flanks brushed together and, to return the affection, happily nuzzled her neck. A warm feeling spread through my chest as her squeaky, quiet laughter became slightly louder.

"Aw! You two are so cute! Thunder, now you kiss Shard!"

My face slightly heated as I took note of those words. I snapped my head away, startled from the shrill, cub voice. "Fawn, come on," Shard murmured. The glaceon weakly smiled at the cub as her colored face betrayed her embarrassment.

Fawn threw her forepaws to her muzzle, failing to bite back her giggles. "Gosh! Y-Your faces are so red!" The fennekin stumbled and fell over: eyes shut tight, ears pricked, and tiny paws flailing in the air. I felt my ears pressing against the back of my head, but even with the burning on my face, I couldn't help but also laugh. I didn't blush often, so if my face was red enough to make the silly cub laugh, I would join in with the laughter.

A worried mother arrived by the cub's side from seemingly thin air. Summer hastily nudged Fawn with her nose, motioning the little fennekin to her paws. "You shouldn't tease them about their relationship, Fawn. Now look, you nearly fell on and bruised your apple when you fell over. Let Shard and Thunder eat in peace while you have lunch, okay? Don't you want to eat with Copper? And Scarlet? Then you can play after."

Summer began to lead Fawn away from us despite the cub's protests. After a bit of fidgeting, Shard called out, "D-don't worry, Summer. She can stay." The glaceon's reddened face was steadily fading down to pink by this point.

The fully grown fennekin stiffened and stopped leading her cub away. Summer reluctantly turned around, giving us an uncertain glance. "You sure? I don't want her annoying you too much."

"She's not some sort of burden," I hurried to mention. If Shard didn't mind the fennekin cub staying around us for a bit, I wouldn't either.

Fawn crisply yelped and bristled her pelt in anger, "Mom! Did you just call me annoying?!"

It was Summer's turn to laugh. The mother nuzzled the top of Fawn's head and quickly apologized. "Sorry, sweetie. If you need me, I'll be by Scarlet and Copper so I can watch them, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah... whatever, can you go now?"

"Behave." With that final note, she nudged her daughter towards us and darted off to find the fennekin siblings. Fawn squeaked in happiness and raced over in our direction; she barely remembered to fetch her apple on the way. With a furiously wagging tail, she skidded to a stop within reaching distance, and the little fennekin abruptly chomped a piece out of her fruit, effectively spraying Shard and me over with apple juice. The fennekin cub adorned a small, open-mouthed smile, showing apple chunks stuck between her tiny teeth. "Hehe! Got ya!"

Shard uncharacteristically bore a feverish glare into Fawn's eyes. The young fennekin looked confused for a moment before her ears and tail limply drooped. The two stayed like that for a few heartbeats until Shard completely lost the heated look and cheerfully bit down on her apple, showering Fawn in apple juice as retaliation. A playful grin etched into Fawn's face when she realized what happened. "Is this a challenge?" she questioned with a mock-deep voice. In response, I decided to chomp down on my apple, sprinkling both of the foxes in juice. "Oh, it's on!"