Chapter 8

I haul the filled basket onto the counter and empty it onto the conveyer. The woman in front of me offers a sympathetic glance at the items I'm buying. My phone pings again and I resist the urge to check it. The person behind the counter helps me pack my bags after scanning everything.

"Big party?" they ask me.

"Hen do and table decorations. Killing two birds with one stone," I shrug as I pay. They laugh and wave goodbye as I grab my bags. I exit the shop and bump into someone. "Sorry."

"Don't apologise Clara. Please. I don't deserve an apology of you," the voice says. I look up and see mom. "Do you need a hand?"

I look at her and she is being sincere. I nod and she grabs some bags off me as I lead her to my car. I open the boot which has bags already in it for different shops. I can tell she's shocked when she piles them into my car.

"Clara, I'm really sorry. I love you. You're my oldest baby and I felt and am feeling awful about the whole situation. I know you're not ready to see us or talk to us. Brianna and Diana really miss seeing you. I miss seeing you. Dad too." I look at her when she finishes, and I see the tears in her eyes.

I feel myself sigh. How many times do they have to apologise before I forgive them? I can see it hurts her and I think she finally knows how hard this was for me. "I love you too mom. I always did. I might be ready to see you guys but just you four. No nan, no Aunt Mila, definitely no Molly."

Mom smiles as her tears fall. She hugs me tightly. "I'd love that. You let us know where and when and we'll come. I know you're not over it completely, but I appreciate you trying to forgive the unforgivable."

I release her and give her a tight smile as I climb into my car. Mom heads back to the shop immediately on the phone. I pull out and head to Harmony's house. There's only Harmony and Teddy in the house as Josiah is at work. I carry in the first lot of bags and place them on the dining table. Teddy and Harmony hear me and help unload the rest.

"Thanks for doing this, Clara. We've been sorting out everything else. The venue has been ringing non-stop and we've been doing the seating arrangements," Teddy says. She actually pulls me into a hug.

"Just doing my job," I shrug. "Now if you want, we can start the gift sets for the hen do first and then the table pieces."

Harmony lets out a sigh of relief. "I have no clue what I'd do without your organisation skills. I feel like I'm torn between everything."

I place my hands on Harmony's shoulders, "breathe. It's handled. It's only March, we've got six months. The seating plan can be done when Lana and Charles get here later. Or even next month. We've got dress fittings already booked and the guys are getting their suits in July. The venue and hotels are booked. Hairdresser and make-up artist are booked, and you've got a test look two weeks before the wedding. All you've got to do is the cake, which you can do closer to the date."

She breathes deeply and relaxes. Teddy gives me a thankful smile. I move to the bag that I got the sashes and paper bags in. I empty them out and go into another bag with tags. "If you want name the tags with either their names or nicknames. I'll put the correct sashes in there while Clara assembles the bag before we move to the trinkets." Teddy says handing her daughter a pen and getting her to sit down.

"Thanks, you two. I'd be a mess right now," Harmony says while getting to work. Teddy puts on some music while we sort everything out. We laugh, sing and have a dance break.

By the time Josiah walks in the table is a mess of pink, packets and glitter. The mess is worse when Charles and Lana walk in. I help clean up before leaving them to go to work. I have to brush my hair free of glitter before entering the shop and going into the back.