"I have news for you," Lark whispered conspiratorially.

"What is it?" Sara was already intrigued and sat upright in her excitement.

"Our Lord has extended an offer to employ your parents and have them live here in the castle. He told me only last night."

Sara's mouth dropped open. As she tried to absorb Lark's words tears began to form in her eyes. She buried her face in her hands and was overcome with emotion. As she began to cry, Lark stroked her back comfortingly but became concerned that the news may have upset her handmaid. Before she could ask, Sara's teary face reappeared.

"Is it t-true?" she sobbed. "Our Lord is so kind?"

Lark smiled softly and wrapped her friend in a warm hug as she nodded.

"Yes, Sara. He has made arrangements to have them brought here as soon as they recover. Once they are here we can try to remove your brother from their land. I plan to look into this matter immediately."

Sara beamed as tears continued to fall into her lap. She sobbed and threw herself into Lark's lap.

"It is your doing," she cried. "You have done this for me. How can I ever repay your kindness?"

Lark laughed and shook her head.

"You have done me a kindness by coming here. I could not have asked for a better companion. I told the Lord that they had nowhere to go. He freely offered them employment and lodging."

Sara shook her head in disbelief.

"I am so blessed," she sobbed. "This may be a miracle."

Lark soothed her and after a few minutes, Sara was exhausted from crying. She excused herself and hurried to her room to write to her parents and rest. Lark was comfortable going to Lady Ferra's lesson without her friend. There had been no more suspicious activity in the castle corridors and her joy made her more carefree than usual. As the sun set she quickly found her way to the courtyard. She sat in the golden light as the sun began to sink below the horizon, enjoying the fragrance of the flowers in the garden. A gentle breeze tousled her dark hair and the sounds of insects began to rise from the surrounding forest. It was a beautiful and peaceful dusk. As Lady Ferra appeared at her side, Lark was unfazed. She curtsied politely.

"My Lady."

Ferra lowered her head in response.

"Where is your maid?" she asked coolly.

"Sara had recieved news that her parents were among those recovered from the recent incident at Hygate. She is recovering from the excitement."

Lady Ferra nodded.

"Very well. It is fortuitous that she should be absent tonight. I have private words for you."

"As you wish," Lark replied.

Ferra led her to a bench and they sat together.

"I must warn you," she said softly. She knew it was possible Vayn could be lurking in the shadows so she kept her voice low. "There may be a plot against you. You must heighten your awareness of your surroundings. It is not safe for you to explore the castle alone and we cannot protect you after dawn."

"What is the plot, my Lady? I have been vigilant and seen nothing. I thought the danger may have passed."

Ferra laughed dryly.

"That is foolish," she whispered. "Your enemies are close. We can only hope they do not act with violence."

Larl could hear the meaning hidden in the Lady's words. She may have already avoided an attempt to harm her. She lowered her eyes dejectedly. Not even a few days of happiness could pass without some new danger.

"I understand, my Lady. Do you know who is behind it?"

"Yes. And so do you. Please be careful. I have done what I can to protect you but I will not intervene further."

Lark nodded morosely. She knew it must be Vayn but hoped desperately that she was not missing some other sign of danger. With her attention focused on the harem she would be vulnerable to attacks from elsewhere within the castle.

"Very well. What will we discuss tonight?"

She and Ferra reviewed past lessons on dining etiquette and appropriate conversation for a short time before Lark was dismissed. She was having trouble focusing and Ferra could sense her anxiety.

"Get some rest," Ferra told her. "We will continue tomorrow. And be careful."

Lark curtsied and rushed back to the safety of her chamber. She knew that she would have to discuss this issue with August. She didn't have proof of Vayn's involvement but there was a possibility that he might at least be willing to keep an eye on the harem. She greeted Sara and withdrew into her room, collapsing onto her bed. Her embroidery hung beside her bed and she followed the contours of the raven with her eyes. She missed King, who had been absent for several days. She had seen him from afar foraging in the main courtyard but Lark suspected he may have a family of his own. He seemed to be hunting more than usual and hadn't visited her private courtyard recently. She pulled out the box of gifts he had given her and retrieved something he had left her the day before. It was a simple gold ring inlaid with a single stone. It seemed nondescript and not particularly valuable but it was charming. Lark slipped it onto her finger and it fit well but she wondered if it might belong to someone within the castle. She would ask August to investigate when she saw him next.

She joined Sara in the sitting room to tell her about what Lady Ferra had shared with her. She hadn't wanted to ruin her handmaid's excellent mood but she knew that Sara was also in danger. Sara seemed fairly calm and took the warning seriously. They agreed to stick together and remain vigilant and enjoyed a late dinner before retiring to bed. Lark had not heard from August but knew he must be busy trying to reorganize his kingdom. She found sleep eluded her so she wrote him a note as she laid awake.

Unable to sleep.

What keeps you away?

Lark

She brought it to the guard in the corridor who promised to pass it along and returned to bed hoping that he might call on her before sunrise. But no answer came. As the night deepened Lark ultimately drifted off to sleep, her heart troubled by his absence.