They stopped at the hospital first where they were well received. Bernard waited with the horses as they entered the large stone building. Lark met with the dozen people being housed there. They spoke of their terrible treatment and suffering while in captivity. They were kept in a windowless dungeon, underfed, neglected and left to their own devices. All were pale and thin and some had black bruises healing on their arms. When they had attempted to escape they had been placed in heavy irons. Some shuddered as they recalled being fed on against their will by both Whitlock and his officers. Lark comforted them as Sara helped to entertain the children who had also been recovered. They made their way from room to room and Lark was deeply moved by every story. Many of these people had been considered missing and presumed dead for months. The village was still trying to recover from the shock. As Lark and Sara entered the final room, she was unsettled at the reaction of the couple inside. They stared at her with mouths hanging open and expressions of disbelief. She watched as the woman's eyes filled with tears that began to fall as she reached out towards her. But as she opened her mouth to protest Lark turned to Sara. Her handmaiden's face was contorted with an expression of relief and disbelief. It was only when the girl rushed forward and into the arms of the crying woman that Lark realized that they hadn't been looking at her at all. She took a step forward as Sara began to sob to comfort her. But she paused as Sara let out a strangled cry.

"M-mom..."

The couple was embracing Sara desperately. They had thought they may never see her again. After returning to find their property had been claimed by their estranged son they had assumed she was gone forever. They had long since banished him from the family for his manipulation, deceit, and lack of morality. He had returned after their disappearance and cast Sara aside. But now they were finally reunited. They were so overwhelmed by their joy that none had even noticed Lark standing in the doorway. She exited quietly and gave them the dignity of a private reunion. Her own heart was so full. In the short time she had spent with Sara she had come to trust and adore her. She knew there was now a chance that Sara would return to her parents and thought of losing her was painful. But seeing this family complete helped her own heart to heal. She had never met her own parents and this moment seemed like a blessing. It was a privilege to be present. She had only waited a few minutes when Sara called out to her.

Her parents were radiant and their happiness was infectious. Lark found herself smiling as she kneeled beside them.

"These are my parents," Sara told her. She could see Sara had her mother's almond-shaped eyes and gentle mouth and her father's elegant nose. Her parents were thin and tired after their ordeal but it was obvious where Sara's beauty came from. They all shared the same wavy chestnut hair.

"It is an honor to meet you," Lark said softly. She took the older woman's hand. "Sara is a capable and intelligent companion. It had been a privilege to have her in the castle."

Sara smiled sheepishly as her mother's eyes widened. She had been so happy to see her daughter than she hadn't even noticed her fine gown or beautiful companion.

"You work in the castle, my love?" her mother asked with pride. Her father smiled widely. Sara blushed and nodded.

"I am the Favored's handmaid!" she announced. She rested a hand on Lark's shoulder. "After I was forced out by Peri I survived on my own for a while. But Lark came to the village seeking a handmaid and I was selected."

Lark nodded in agreement.

"She has blossomed," Lark praised her. "I will miss her dearly."

Sara turned to her with a confused expression.

"Why shall you miss me?"

"Will you not return to your parents?"

Sara embraced her mother and father tightly.

"I can support them on my salary once they are well enough to leave the hospital. My brother will not vacate the farm under any circumstances. He made that clear when he threatened my life."

Her father grunted angrily.

"As long as they feel safe and strong enough I would like to stay with you, Lark."

Sara's parents nodded enthusiastically.

"It is such an honor that she was chosen," Sara's father said. "We would not separate her from you."

"But can you visit?" her mother asked forlornly. Sara looked to Lark who nodded.

"Of course, ma'am. She can visit at her leisure. I am sure Bernard would be happy to accompany you. We can ask him on the ride back."

Sara beamed and held her parents close. Lark bid them farewell and left them alone for a while longer. She had compiled a list of supplies needed for the humans being treated here and reviewed it as she waited for Sara to join her. She was thrilled that Sara would not be leaving and was grateful for the blessing of her parents. She hoped to repay them with a home of their own or perhaps an intervention with their son. Surely some record existed to prove the legitimacy of the claim on their land. Now that they had returned they should have the power to evict their son. She would need to discuss it with Bernard. She joined him outside and mounted her horse. Soon after, Sara followed with a huge smile on her face.

"My parents," she explained to Bernard. "They were found!"

Bernard offered her a warm smile and congratulations and Lark was surprised by how soft he seemed. Sara was oblivious to his attention but clearly admired him from afar. Lark had to admit they would make a lovely couple.

The trio visited the remaining Hygate survivors before heading back to the castle as night fell. Lark could feel butterflies tumbling in her stomach. Soon August would be awake. She wondered if she would see him again so soon. As she and Sara bid Bernard goodnight Lark noticed his wistful glance towards her handmaiden. He was always reserved, professional, and sometimes cold. But he treated Sara with gentleness. It was nice to see him relax slightly and give in to his feelings. He seemed to need a release.

Sara and Lark slipped quietly into the castle and hurried to their wing, chatting to each other as they traversed the dark hallways. What they failed to notice were a pair of dark eyes watching from an alcove close to Lark's chambers. The dim lamplight glinted menacingly off of a curved blade resting against the wall. As the women closed the door to their chambers behind them the dark figure silently grabbed the knife and drew it close to their body. They stalked slowly forward until their robed figure was illuminated in the dark corridor. It was Vayn draped in black. She was an intimidating figure and clearly practiced with her heavy weapon. Her hair was pulled back neatly away from her face and she made no sound as she moved like a serpent of shadow. She crept towards the door knowing she would find it unlocked. But as she reached for the handle she could hear a faint male voice coming from within. She hissed in disgust, recognizing it as August. He must be visiting her.

Her plan thwarted, Vayn spat at the door and sprinted out of the dark wing after stowing her knife in a sheath on her hip. Lark was too close to August now. Her death would be carefully investigated. Vayn burst into the dark courtyard and let out a frustrated scream. How would she ever rise to her rightful position with this intruder in her way? She threw her blade to the grass and fell to her knees. Though she tried to keep her anger under control she felt a few hot tears of frustration roll down her cheeks.

She felt humiliation and jealousy overcome her but before she could fully succumb a voice sang from beneath the magnolia tree.

"What troubles you?"

Vayn recognized the voice immediately and her eyes darted around the courtyard looking for her. She could not see her until the vampiress stepped into the moonlight with a serene smile.

"Lady Ferra?"