Chapter 45: Keep Your Hands Off My Baby

Draco stepped out of the safety of the trees of the Forbidden Forest, instantly feeling the alarm he had set off circulating through his veins. Ron had stepped through at the same moment so it would only trigger once.

"This way!" someone shouted in the distance.

Draco closed his eyes and listened to the approaching footsteps.

"Remember, Weasel. No matter how much I struggle, do not help me. They cannot know you're here."

"I know," Ron said quietly beside him.

Draco opened his eyes again. "Five Snatchers are headed this way." He suddenly smiled. "You know, I think I'm going to have my own fun with a sword."

Using his foot, Draco kicked a fallen twig off of the ground and into his hand. He transfigured it into a glowing, blue sword, swinging it just in time to slice an approaching Snatchers head off.

"Showoff."

The headless body collapsed. Draco marched forward, not even looking as he sent a jet of green light to his left, successfully hitting a Snatcher directly in the heart. And, this time, the victim would not be rising again after twenty minutes. He was quite dead.

A Stunning Spell shot at Draco. He easily sidestepped it. Another one. He had to dodge this one. Two Snatchers came running up to him. Without slowing his steps, he swung his sword in a crescent shape, sending a powerful wave of light forward that sliced both Snatchers across the middle. Blood splattered in two perfect streaks across the pure-white snow. The Snatchers' faces were still conscious for a moment, looking down at their wounds before they slowly began to fall into two pieces. Top and bottom.

Their eyes were still wide open as their heads hit the ground, but Draco had no time to stop and notice.

His heart began to race. There was only one more Snatcher in close enough vicinity to reach him before he approached the castle, and he was waiting for him, his wand drawn as he blocked Draco's entrance to the courtyard.

Draco knew him. He was not afraid to share a pint with those deemed lesser than him after a successful mission, and this boy, even younger than him, had the glowing eyes of youth and pride as one of the top Death Eater's sat with him, even purchasing him a drink. But that was a good two years ago now, and his eyes no longer glowed as they once had. They were dark and cruel, shadowed behind years of heinous deeds that can do nothing but tatter a weak soul into a million irreparable pieces. The young boy was gone and in his place emerged a servant, eager to please and ready to die.

If he did not relinquish then Draco had no choice. This was a war. From here on out, there would be no prisoners. He would show no mercy.

"You sure you want to do this?" asked Draco, giving the boy one last chance to run for it.

But his wand remained pointed, his face behind it fierce.

Draco sighed as he lifted his own wand, letting the Snatcher shoot a Stunning Spell at him. He blocked it with a simple wave of his hand, simultaneously sending a Killing Curse straight at his heart.

The Snatcher fell back slowly. Draco levitated him out of his path and continued forward. He had made it quick. That was the most he could give.

Draco cast a spell, opening the gates that led into the courtyard.

He stepped inside, his eyes cautious as he scanned the open space. One. Two. Three steps. He stopped. There was a rustle. It was faint but it was definitely there.

Draco held out his hand to stop Ron. The movement was small enough so anyone watching him would pay it no mind, but he did not dare say anything. With the Silencing Charm and a spell hiding his footprints, he could only assume that Ron obeyed.