Somebody Else

When we finished dancing, the man who was talking to Isabela from earlier started to approach us. He held two plates in his hands, probably bringing food for Isabela.

I turn away from him, finding his face quite annoying. "Mariposa? What's wrong?" She asks, confused about how I was acting right after our moment. At least I think we had a moment.

Before I could speak, he intercepts. "Isabela, hey. I brought you some food." He says, his full focus on Isa, barely even acknowledging me: the girl who she literally had a romantic dance with.

Isabela, not even aware of his nearing presence, turns to him in surprise. "Oh, Mariano!" She says with an overly ecstatic tone. Oh she's totally faking it.

She clears her throat and intertwines our arms. "I apologize, y/n and I usually share our food." I turn to her with a smirk. We haven't shared a plate in years, who is she kidding?

"Oh, but Abuela said these are your favorite. Maybe you could share it with her." He says with a golden retriever aura that makes me wanna throw up. "I'm Mariano by the way, you're Isabela's-?" He asks as he turns to look at me, extending his arm for a shake.

I look him in the eyes as I take his hand. "Best friend." This dude is totally just desperate for love, I can see it in his eyes. I swear if he hurts Isabela because of that...

He laughs awkwardly and nods, pulling away from my grip on his hand. "Two pretty best friends huh?" He says, trying to flatter me and win me over. As if I'd ever support him anyway, compliments will get him nowhere.

I wear a fake smile, not even trying to make it look genuine. "I've actually just lost my appetite. Mi flor you should go join him." I say, emphasizing my endearment.

"What? No, you should eat. You know I don't like it when you skip your meals mariposa." She says sternly, grabbing my wrist without any plans on letting me go.

"I'm fine, I'll eat when I'm hungry." I kiss her cheek and flowers start popping up on the top of her head. I smirk and pull away. That's a first. "Enjoy dinner, both of you." I wave as I walk away from them, already feeling my mood go sour by the second.

I find Dolores right where I left her, staring at the floor. "Still in a gloomy mood hermosa?" I ask her with a gentle smile. She looks up at me and wears a tired smile.

"It's getting a bit too loud." She says as she covers her ears with her hands, brows furrowed in frustration.

I smile gently at her and place my hands on top of hers, doubling the cover on her ears. I whisper so I don't agitate her even more. "I think there's more to it than that." I wear a teasing smile, making her roll her eyes at me but still looking amused.

"I'm pretty sure you're just as bothered by it as me." She says as she nudges me with a playful, but still sad smile.

I feign ignorance when I turn to look at them, Isabela smiling as Mariano speaks. I feel my heart clench and turn away. "Pfft- me? Be bothered by that? No, not bothered. Not at all."

"Riiiight. Not at all." Dolores says with a smile. She moves our hands away from her ears and takes a hold of my wrist, taking us to the dinner table. "We should at least eat a bit."

I grab a single plate and turn to her. "Let's share?" She nods in reply, her eyes stuck on Mariano and Isabela.

"Isa's looking our way." She states then starts laughing. "Now I kind of wanna tease her." A devilish smirk plastered on Dolores' face when I glance at her while grabbing our food.

I roll my eyes with a smile and continue to take our favorite. Once the plate was full, we head to a table near the two. Dolores gets seated next to me, giving Isabela a full view of us.