Fashion - Types of Dress

Começar do início

Morning Dress (1794) - Undress or Half Dress

Morning Dress could be used for sitting around the house, receiving or visiting friends/family, walking in the local area or attending daytime events..

Morning dresses were usually made of warmer, more hardwearing materials; generally one of the various kinds of muslin. Most were a simple robe as a base layer with a shawl if necessary, but some examples of morning dress included a second layer, such as a demi-robe. In modern-day terms that would be like wearing a cardigan or jumper over your t-shirt.

When a lady expected visitors to her home, particularly in places like London or Bath, she might wear a more elegant or fashionable morning dress, and it was mostly these dresses that were highlighted in the fashion magazines of the time.

If you wanted to leave the house in your morning dress, you would add some kind of hat and a spencer or pelisse, just as we might throw on a jacket or coat, to turn it into a walking dress. Some fashion plates were even labelled "morning walking dress", which meant they could be used for either or both activities.

A morning dress was sometimes described as a Domestic Dress between 1811-1813. It could also be labelled as a Home Dress or Home Costume between 1812-1816. I found the term Breakfast Dress used in 1807 but was also described as being suitable for walking.

Walking Dress (1799) - Undress

Unlike the morning dress, fashion plates frequently represented their walking dress in an outdoor setting, with a warm pelisse and accessories such as a muff or umbrella/parasol. At the turn of the century, even walking dresses included a train, but later on, walking dresses were always the same length all the way around, but either touched the top of the shoe or stopped just above shoe length, depending on the prevailing tastes of fashion.

Afternoon Dress (1794) - Half Dress

An afternoon dress was worn when attending social events that took place in the afternoon. Afternoon dresses were very common between 1799-1803 and were then mentioned only occasionally after that time. They could also have been used for visiting and may have been later replaced by the visiting dress. An evening dress could be made suitable for use as an afternoon or promenade dress by the addition of a chemisette or tucker to temporarily cover the lower neckline.

Promenade Dress (1802) - Half Dress

This was a smarter, more showy version of a walking dress, as those ladies who were walking along a Promenade usually did so to be seen. Promenade dress, like the walking dress, would always include an element of outerwear. Some examples of Promenade Dress were advertised as "Promenade or Carriage Dress" as they could be used for either activity. In 1808, a muslin dress, considered suitable for the breakfast table when worn on its own, could then be converted into an outfit suitable "for the promenade, the library, or the race ground" by the addition of a Valencia cap and cloak.

Carriage Dress (1807) - Half Dress

Ladies often wore carriage dress when driving in an open carriage around Hyde Park, or in other visible places. They were there to socialise and be seen, so their outfit would have been more elaborate than an undress morning or walking dress. Fashion plates showing carriage dress usually included a matching mantle or cloak and hat. Also referred to as Carriage Costume.

Breakfast Dress (1807) - Half Dress

Although the early Breakfast dress of 1807 was a morning dress by another name, the Breakfast dresses of the late Regency period were not intended for sitting at home first thing in the morning. Like the Visiting dress, the Breakfast dress was made to be seen, particularly at the fashionable "Venetian Breakfasts" that were held in high society. The breakfast dress would have been suitable for any social event held before 4pm.