07. A Plan Revealed

Start from the beginning

"You are to be confined until the master orders you to be released," she said wearily. "You are foolish to try and escape. You could not ask for a better life or a more coveted position. Your attitude and intentions are under scrutiny. You do not want the lord as an enemy. I wish you luck." Before Lark could respond or react, Madame Fawst hurried from the room and locked the door firmly behind her.

In a state of shock and panic, Lark snatched her maps from the bed, crumpling them in her hands. She was now truly a prisoner, locked deep within the castle. There was no chance of escape until she was released at the whim of the lord. Furious, she tore the blanket from the bed, spilling her bag and its contents onto the cold stone floor. She threw an apple with all her strength at the heavy door and it burst into pieces, leaving an ugly stain on the aged wood. With no way to vent her frustration she began to cry, her body heaving with painful sobs. The stress she had been holding in her body for so long burst forth and came in excruciating waves. She didn't know how long she cried in the dimly lit room, beating her fists against the floor. But when she finally felt her head begin to clear her hands were bruised and bloody and her head ached fiercely. Defeated, she collapsed on the bed. But sleep would not come. She laid staring at the ceiling, wishing she could disappear.

She should have been more careful and bided her time, waiting for a future trip to make her escape. But she had been foolish. How had she been discovered? The harem had all been occupied in the courtyard. Perhaps the matron had just been eager to punish her. Or the lord had alerted her to Lark's cool behavior towards him and caused her suspicion. Her devastation was overwhelming. Hugging her only pillow close to her body, she waited in a state of numb disbelief until morning. The small window above her bed was too high to reach and guarded by heavy metal bars. But at least she could note the passing of the hours. Food was brought to her twice a day, along with water and occasionally wine in the evenings. She spent many days in complete solitude with only a small pile of books and her embroidery to entertain her. Despite her confinement she was expected to continue her lessons. But she was not allowed to leave her cell, and was given written instruction instead.

Her next embroidery was another bird, this time flying free with wings outspread. The flowers were replaced with intricate stars sewn from gold thread, and the raven was now a horned lark with its distinctive yellow throat and erect head feathers. She was proud of the design and finished it with surprising speed. But she had no one to share it with. She refused food one evening, leading to an unexpected visitor when darkness fell. She was asleep when the lord entered her cell, dressed only in a light robe. Upon awakening, she saw that he was sitting at her small table, studying the cell silently. With a gasp she sat up and covered her body with her blanket. She couldn't hide her contempt and glared at him, though he remained poised.

"You know why you are here," he said. "I don't come seeking an apology but an explanation. Why do you want to leave? Why won't you eat?" His eyes fell on the necklace she still wore around her slender neck. She quickly covered it with her hand. Unsure of whether to tell the truth, she said nothing. August sighed heavily.

"I have not mistreated you. I have always cared for you. Why are you so detached?" He looked away, observing the cell closely. He was saddened by the sight of her in such a confined space.

"I do not wish to be a prisoner," she said after a moment. "I want to be free." August gave her a cold look, obviously hurt by her words. She was quick to recover. "But I was not trying to escape. I was bringing those things to my orphanage. For the children. I had the maps to help them find me if they ever needed me." This lie was undoubtedly clumsy. No villager would ever think to approach the castle uninvited, and sharing a diagram of the castle's layout was almost definitely forbidden. It could allow an enemy to exploit its weaknesses if it fell into the wrong hands. But to her relief, the lord seemed to believe her. He nodded slowly but did not smile.

He rose quickly to his feet and approached the door. She noticed his dark hair was not tied up as usual, but fell around his shoulders in waves. It made him appear somehow softer and less intimidating. He held out a hand to her.

"Walk with me?" he offered. Lark looked down at her concealed body and he looked away tactfully, folding his arms in front of him. She slipped out of bed and pulled on the simple dress she had been given after her confinement began. Then she allowed him to lead her into the tunnel. But they did not go in the direction she had entered from. Instead, he led her through a door on the opposite side into an unfamiliar wing of the castle. It was furnished differently from the harem with heavy, dark drapery and macabre art decorating every available space. Ancient weapons and books were displayed on the walls and strange sculptures of moving figures guarded soaring pillars. It was an impressive but intimidating space. Lark felt hopelessly out of place.

"This is my wing," August explained, leading her slowly through the vast wing to show her each room. He passed some closed doors without elaborating but did show her his personal library and small courtyard. There were few flowers here. A large and very old oak tree dominated the garden with a decrepit wooden swing hanging from a low branch. Lark was cautious, only allowing herself to respond with bland comments of approval or admiration. The lord was frustrated, clearly hoping to make a more authentic connection with her. But she resisted. At last, he led her back towards the dark tunnel they had come from. She bristled as they approached the door but he settled her onto a nearby couch instead, sitting beside her but at a respectful distance.

"You will not be kept here forever," he assured her. "But keeping order in the harem is my personal priority when it comes to this situation. They think you have tried to betray me and it is important that they believe you have received an appropriate punishment." He appeared thoughtful but regretful. "When they are satisfied you can return to the harem. Until then, I can be your company. When I'm at home." He was uncomfortable, shifting in his seat as he spoke. Lark felt some guilt at causing his distress and reached out to soothe him before thinking better of it and folding her hands in her lap.

"It is an honor, my lord," she replied. He was displeased by this cool response and led her to her cell, bowing before retreating back to the tunnel, locking the door behind him. He stood still just outside of her room, lost in thought. She had said she wasn't attempting to escape. But he was far wiser than she had predicted. He was absolutely positive that had been her intention but had no way to prove her claims were false. It was indeed his suspicion that had prompted Madame Fawst to search Lark's room. His face clouded with frustration, he left the tunnel and returned to his own chamber. Seated at his desk he wrote a letter to Lark, asking her about her interests and passions. It made no mention of her thwarted escape attempt. He was so curious about her that he could forgive her for her error. But it still deeply worried him. Absorbed in his writing, it was nearly dawn before he finally sealed the letter and called a servant to deliver it. He had to make preparations for a visit to the neighboring territory. The lord sought his council and aid. He could not afford to let this human distract him. Pushing her from his mind, he began giving orders to ready his carriages and alert the castle staff to his departure. At dusk he would depart.