Ch 26. Your fault

Taehyung wasn't going to pick up

Taehyung wasn't going to pick up. When he eyes the device in his hands he knows he shouldn't. If he had silenced it instead, it wouldn't be the only thing that he was staring at intermittently since Jeongguk left.

But it's to late. To late to back up now when it keeps ringing.

Taehyung idly fidgets with his fingers  when he slowly brings the phone up to his ear, feels the corners of his lips part when he inhales a shaked breath the moment everything goes silent.

"You're finally picking up now?" Hyun's voice still makes Taehyung tremble.

Clenching his fists together Taehyung swallows, voice coming out like a croak. Dry and awful "Stop calling me Hyun" his nails dig into his skin "I have already done everything you told me to do"

Taehyung wants to say more, that Hyun doesn't have a right to anything. That it's the first time- that when he hears his voice, the feeling of being unable to breathe becomes real.

It takes three to long seconds before he speaks again.

"Oh really?" The voice sounds close when they deportate into slow hums through his phone.

And he cuts him off before he has a chance to talk.

"You're so pathetic you know that Taehyung? I really do like you but the way you fell for that guy so easily is so pathetic"

"Stop calling me"

"Oh well I was expecting that from you anyway" Taehyung hears a sigh "but I still had hope before I told you"

There's a silence on the other end of the line. For a short moment, Taehyung wonders if he will ever be the same now. When his nails dig into his skin further until it hurts, he truly wouldn't expect more.

"Told me what?"

Taehyung croaks in a voice that sounds like it hasn't been used in a while. There are line of hopeless circles under his eyes, a tired expression from all the thinking. He tugs at the hem of his white shirt, traces the pattern of his index finger where Jeongguk had caressed them just an hour ago when he just listens.

Maybe that's all he can ever do.

"I don't know maybe about how it's so crazy. That one year ago Jeongguk ended up behind bars, and now he's roaming around doing the same thing but no one's stopping him?"

Taehyung's chest hurts "He hasn't done anything wrong, he's a good guy.. gguk's a really good guy"

Jeongguk is so perfect.

"You're one to say" Taehyung takes in Hyun's icy tone filling up the line.

"After all wasn't it all your fault he ended up there in the first place?"

Taehyung's entire chest starts to feel numb but he's frozen and he can't move.

No

"W-what are you talking about?"