Chapter Three: Dinner With West

Start from the beginning

"Already texted him. He's on his way down with West."

Mila perks up at the mention of her brothers name and slaps her hands down on her highchair tray. She kicks her chunky legs out and grins from ear to ear.

"Somebody's excited to see their brother." I mutter, wrapping a bib around Mila's neck.

She fights me on it, but stops when Kai walks into the room. My baby screeches happily and makes grabby hands at him. The funny part is, Mila completely ignores West standing there. Those two have a love hate relationship.

West isn't afraid to pick on Mila and Mila isn't afraid to give him her full blown attitude.

"I was right upstairs, sissy. If you missed me you could've came and saw me." Kai says as he rounds the table to get to Mila.

He presses a kiss to the top of her head and rubs his nose against hers. Mila giggles and crosses her eyes, trying to watch the movement.

"My two babies are so adorable." Hazel coos from the kitchen as she grabs some bowls out of the cupboards.

"Ah, Mrs.Thomas, you wound me. I'm not feeling the love." West states dramatically with his hand over his heart.

He's faking it for the laughs, playing into the running joke that Hazel doesn't love him. She does, though. Kai and West have been dating for a good chunk of time and he's wormed his way into my wife's heart. She sees him like a second son, as do I.

West is good for Kai and vise versa. Those two are like peas in a pod.

"Oh, stop it. You know I love you too." Hazel chides.

I walk into the kitchen to help her with the food, carrying several bowls to the table. Mila's bowl is toddler sized and suctions to her highchair tray so she can't throw it on the floor.

"Here you go, ladybug."

Her food is placed in front of her and she automatically goes for the small pile of oyster crackers. She shoves a handful into her mouth and chews with her mouth open.

"Close them lips, girl." West jokes as he slides into the chair beside Kai.

Hazel plops down beside me and we all watch Mila for her reaction. Knowing my baby, she'll probably roll her eyes.

I was right. Mila's eyes roll into the back of her head and she sticks her tongue out. Chewed up bits of oyster crackers stick to it and I nearly gag. "Mila, put your tongue back in your mouth."

"Sowwy, Dada."

"It's okay, ladybug. You have to remember to use your manners." I gently reprimand as I bring a spoon full of chili up to my mouth.

I hum at the flavor, thanking Hazel for cooking dinner tonight. We've been having a lot of fast food lately and a home cooked meal is just what everybody needed.

"Try your chili, pea. It's good for your tummy."

Mila shakes her head and shoves more crackers in her mouth. She'll fill up on those rather than at least try the food. Reaching over, I grab Mila's baby spoon out of her bowl and scoop up a bite, offering it to her.

She reluctantly opens her mouth and I spoon the food in. "Good?" I inquire.

"Wan mwore, pease." My ladybug demands greedily.

Hazel smirks and Kai chuckles. All it took was one bite and Mila's hooked. Hazel's cooking does that to people.

***

By the time we're all finished eating, Mila is covered in chili sauce. I don't know how she got it in her hair, but she did. Her cheeks are smeared with it and she's trying to lick it off.

"Messy girl." I coo as I use a baby wipe to get most of the sauce off.

Mila wiggles to try and dislodge me. I eventually cave, knowing that she's about to get a bath.

"Do you want to take a bath with Mommy or Daddy?" I ask.

"Mama!" Mila replies happily while clapping her chubby hands together.

I help her out of her highchair and place her down on the floor, watching as she toddles off to Hazel. Meanwhile, Luna is licking up Mila's scraps under her highchair.

"This is why you're getting so fat." I tell Luna.

She pauses in her crumb searching, then goes back to licking the floor. "Did you just fat shame the dog?" West asks, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Why, yes. I did." My reply is blunt and unashamed.

It's a fact that Luna's getting chunkier because Mila thinks it's hilarious to feed the dog her food.

Kai bursts into loud laughter and my heart warms at the sound. He very rarely laughs like that and I'm happy to hear it. My boy deserves all the happiness he can handle.

"We're going back upstairs to play some video games." Kai announces.

"Okay, is West staying the night?"

"Uh, are you, babe?"

West shrugs his shoulders and replies with, "Yeah. Mom and Dad are out of town on a business trip, so they won't care."

"Are you going to drive Kai to school with you in the morning? It would save Hazel having to wake up an hour earlier."

"That's no problem."

With that said, West and Kai head back upstairs right as Mila comes running into the room buck ass naked. Hazel is hot on her trail, chasing after our daughter. Looks like she's back to her old shenanigans.

"Gotcha!" I shout as my arms wrap around Mila.

I toss her into the air and listen to her joyful giggles. "Why you running from Mama? Isn't your little hinny supposed to be in the tub?"

"Nu!" Mila denies.

"Yes. Go and listen to Mama. I don't want to have to spank that bum."

Mila's eyes widen and she wiggles to get out of my arms. I set her on the floor and she runs off towards Hazel, wrapping her arms around my wife's leg.

"Thank you. I thought I was going to have to chase her forever."

Hazel's voice is breathless and grateful at the same time. I smile at her and say, "No problem. Now leave so I can get these dishes done."

There's a lot and it's going to take me a while. But Hazel cooked, so I'll clean.