- Chapter 1 -

São Paulo. Rich in culture. Full of architectural wonders. Steeped in centuries-old tradition. City, which Gunay Alistair found to be the perfect cover and safe haven for his life. His undercover life. Life of a nameless, always elusive, assassin living up to the reputation of the greatest con artist in history. And he firmly believed himself to be one without the slightest shred of a doubt.

Did he love being an assassin? Of course. Was he forced by Fate to choose this path of life and no other? Yes. But he knew deep down he would have become one inevitably. Why? Because he loved it. The intrigue. The secrets. The secret missions. The thrill of it all.

Did he pity his targets? To some extent. Yet he reckoned it worked in everyone's favor because he only accepted assignments targeting the worst criminals, the worst offenders, the worst of the worst...

But he had a vice.

That vice was his family. His parents. His siblings. His past.

His parents were the reason he became an assassin. His siblings were the reason he chose to move as far away from them as possible. His past was the reason he worked alone. Not because he ever failed at his job - he NEVER did. But because he failed as a man years ago. And his heart never forgave him for it...

"It really is such a pity to waste an entire trip on one business meeting," Gunay murmured as if to himself while pretending to savor the taste of a rather stale champagne, dressed in a perfectly pressed high-end tuxedo. He was leaning against the column on a second floor balcony with a crystal champagne flute in his hand. The rather mediocre bubbly did nothing for his taste buds but it played its part as a prop. He held it up to his lips when he wanted to hide a disdained smirk. He turned it in his hand to appear interested in the atmosphere around him. He ran a finger up and down the length of the flute as a sign of allure to the few women he found worth his attention to pass the time.

Bored, he looked across the grand ballroom and spotted the most ignored and most dolled-up woman in the venue. Show time... he thought, and made his way down the marble staircase of Villa Milanese on the tropical island of Galapagos - the location of his current assignment.

To those around him, he played it stoic and cool while flirting with the overly enthusiastic floozy whose only ambition in life was to collect millionaires, one way or another. In reality, though, Gunay scanned the room for the reason he attended the carouse. His next target.

"Yeah. I pity You," Roberto Sivrice, Gunay's security tech and best friend, whispered in the earpiece device with sarcasm.

"You should..."

Gunay's unimpressed tone amused Roberto. He knew perfectly well how much Gunay loathed cheap champagne. He loathed cheap millionaires even more. "A couple more hours, and You'll be relaxing down at the beach with Rasalas."

"Sounds amazing," Gunay smirked, unintentionally siding with something the flirtatious floozy said. Her long red hair, slicked back into an immobile braid, did nothing to accentuate her natural beauty. Neither did the white designer gown. Yet both were overshadowed by the dazzling jewelry she was practically drowning in.

"I know, handsome." The woman linked her hand through Gunay's arm and leaned in closer. "I knew the moment I saw You that You were the type of a man who knew how to appreciate the effort it takes to look this unforgettable."

"You would be correct," Gunay sent the woman a well-trained half grin. Women loved the gesture. He loved the effect it had on them.

"Is she really that unforgettable?" Roberto chuckled in Gunay's earpiece.

"Veramente," Gunay whispered, masking the wicked cockyness of his tone with a sip of the bubbly, and leaned toward the woman to make her think he was speaking to her. "Any man who fails to admit Your beauty to himself is but a fool unworthy of Your presence."

"Oh, stop it." The woman brushed a hand down his chest, obviously taken with his charm.

"Yeah. Stop it," Roberto cackled in a mocking sound.

"I am very fortunate to have accepted the idea of a business venture with our host tonight," Gunay continued with his usual one-liners. "To think I would have lost out on the chance to meet You if my assistant would have declined the invitation."

"It would have been such a shame," she ran her fingers up the lapel of his tuxedo, unbothered by the idea of being seen with a man she barely met. After all, no one bothered to look their way. The millionaires crowd was too busy with their own business. At least that's what she thought.

"Yeah, such a shame," Roberto clicked his tongue, clearing his throat afterwards.

"Maybe You and I can venture onto the beach after my business meeting concludes?" Gunay slowly skimmed over the woman's face, lingering his gaze on her lips. "My yacht is anchored not far from the shore."

"You certainly know how to make a woman wonder," she smiled.

"That makes two of us," Roberto raised his eyebrow, impressed by his best friend's effortless talent of captivating women. "Just don't forget to handle the business meeting You came there to handle. Or that You flew and not swam."

"Definitely, darling..." Gunay whispered, answering to both.

"Darling?" Roberto shook his head. "I've been called worse."

"Definitely," Gunay tipped his head, rising the champagne glass to his lips, and ran a finger down his momentary companion's neck. And froze...

There she was...
Damn the whole world, planets, and universes...
There... she... was...
The one...
The only...
The only one that got away...

Alarmed by Gunay's held breath and galloping pulse, Roberto sat up in his chair and double checked his best friend's vitals transmitted via Gunay's watch. A spike so sudden and so disconcerting was never a sign of anything good. In fact, it spelled out trouble. Ominous and formidable trouble.

"Gunay? Gunay?" Roberto rose to his feet. "What's wrong?"

"She's here..." was all Gunay was able to whisper, almost inaudibly.

"She...?" Roberto leaned forward placing his hands on his desk, then opened his eyes wide. "No way!"

"Way..." Gunay swallowed hard, unable to move, unable to blink, and swearing himself out on the inside. He was looking at the woman he once loved, if only for a heartbeat. A heartbreaking heartbeat too long. Iuliana Selenio...