Episode 2 - The beginning of the zombie apocalypse Part 1

Depuis le début

***********

Sitting down on the floor with Areum’s head leaning on his right shoulder, Suhyeok rubbed his thumb at the back of her small hand. Suhyeok glanced down at the girl he likes, who peacefully slept on his shoulder with dried tears after she calmed down. Onjo looked at the pair as she was feeling disheartened, remembering her conversation with Isak in the cafeteria earlier, finally realised that Suhyeok has feelings toward the beauty beside him.

“Is she fine now?” Wujin asked the boy who was sitting beside her sleeping cousin as he worried about her. Suhyeok nodded his head in response. “I never seen her like that before. I didn’t know she had panic attacks even though we’re cousins. She never told me about it.”

“She tends to hide it whenever she’s having a panic attack. I also didn’t know about this either. After 2 years being her friend, I caught her having a panic attack when we were studying together at my house.” Suhyeok mentioned to Wujin, remembering the memory when he caught her having a panic attack when he was 12-years old. 

Nodding his head while listening to his explanation, Wujin stared at the pair with a smile, feeling relief that his cousin had someone beside her. “I’m glad she had you, Suhyeok-ah.” Wujin approved, giving the tall boy a small pat on his shoulder, the one that was unoccupied before leaving them alone.

“The things that are roaming around school. It’s that, isn’t it? Zombies.” Suhyeok mentioned after the silence had consumed the classroom. All of his surviving classmates stared at him, not wanting to believe what he said. Out of nowhere, a zombie slammed itself on the front of the classroom door, startling Joonyeong who was holding the door shut. The sudden noise also woken Areum up, making the girl lift her head from Suhyeok’s shoulder. 

***********

Helping the others searching for a phone amongst her classmate’s belongings, Areum went to check on the lockers at the back of the classroom, hoping one of the locker doors would be unlocked. Namra approached her close friend as she was worried about her since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

“Areum-ah, how are you feeling?” Namra concernedly said. “I shouldn't have left you alone earlier.”

“I’m feeling fine now. I’m just worried about my grandparents. I hope they’ll be safe.” Areum muttered as she tried to open each of the locker doors.  

“Don’t worry about it. It’s not your fault. You didn’t know that this’ll happen. Beside, Suhyeok was there helping me escape from the zombies.” Areum reassured her close friend with a smile. Namra nodded her head toward her close friend, still feeling guilty for leaving her at the bridge. After the commotion earlier, the class president felt relief once she saw Areum still alive after climbing into the classroom through the window with the help of the three boys. 

“Here! I found one.” Isak announced to her classmates. All of the students, except Namra and the two boys who were assigned to keep the door shut, quickly huddled around the head bun girl.

“Whose it is?” Someone asked.

“This is Yeongju’s desk.” Isak replied “Shit. It’s locked.”

“Do something.” Nayeon demanded as she shaked Isak’s arm.

“What do you want me to do? It’s locked.” The head bun girl frustratedly told the light-brown haired girl.