Camp Hermit-Blood

Start from the beginning

"Well..." Grover continued. "The easiest way to say this is that they're real, and they come and... do stuff with humans, and then have offspring."

"And why do we need to know this?" Doc said impatiently.

"Some of you are that offspring. Some of you are demigods, or half-bloods as we like to call them."

The Hermits whispered to each other. The ones who believed Grover whispered about who among them might be half Greek god. The ones who didn't whispered about how absurd this idea was.

"This is crazy," Ren called angrily.

"It might sound crazy," Grover said. "But it won't when you visit Camp Half-Blood, Ren. You're one of them."

Ren raised his eyebrows. How did this nervous little stick of a guy know his name?

"I think there's seven of you," Grover said. "Ren's one of them. But if you don't believe me, just wait. The monsters will come for you."

"They do every night," Cleo pointed out.

"Worse ones," Grover said gravely. "Harpies. Hellhounds. All sorts of crazy mythological stuff."

"So what if we did believe you?" Xisuma said. "Then what would happen?"

"Then they'd come to Camp Half-Blood for their own safety," Grover answered. "They'd learn to fight. They'd be protected. And they'd discover who their godly parent is."

More glances. More whispering.

"I'm going to go now," Grover said. He tossed a small rectangular object at Xisuma. "When the monsters come, call me. That's a cell phone, but the way. Usually we don't use them, but it's necessary."

"It's not," Xisuma said. He gave the phone back to Grover, along with a spare communicator. "Use this. It'll work anywhere."

Grover admired the steel band, then slipped it into his arm. "I desperately hope that this isn't some tracking device," he said. Then he played a quick tune on his panpipes. A green portal opened, and then he was gone.

"Why did you give him a communicator?" Doc growled. "He's not a Hermit."

"I personally believe him," Xisuma replied. "I think that we should give the guy a chance. I've seen several things the past few years. No harpies or hellhounds, but a dramatic increase in monster population. It could be true."

Many Hermits huffed and flew away. The ones who remained, not knowing what else to do, eventually took off as well.

------

The next few days passed relatively uneventfully - until Ren was suddenly and viciously attacked by a huge wolf while out planning his base. The wolf ignored Doc, who was with him. Ren desperately drew his sword and slashed.

The beast dissolved into dust.

Ren stood up, panting. Doc just stared at his friend in horror. "Why did you just kill a dog? It didn't do anything to you!"

Ren sheathed his Netherite sword. "That was not a normal dog," he said. "Did you see the size of that thing? It tried to kill me!"

Doc shook his head. "Maybe we shouldn't pull any more all-nighters.

Ren stomped his foot. "I know what I saw! I think I believe Grover now."

Doc raised his singular eyebrow. "If you say so."

------

The next attack came on Grian and Scar, while they were talking about the Midnight Alley and Scar's part in it.