«chapter two: run-ins and rescues»

Start from the beginning

Cat wouldn't want me to either. And despite me hating that I even thought that, I can't help but feel slightly better about the situation. And that makes me hate it even more.

I look back to the front as we land.

"We aren't getting caught, it's in and out." I say again, almost to reassure myself.

They all nod and we get off, hiding in whatever shadows we can find.

We make it down to where he would keep people locked away and I have to keep my eyes off the chains of the walls because if I don't, I imagine him putting her in them. I imagine what her life must have been like. And I hate myself for it.

We surprisingly avoid any Shadows as we make it to their room and Superboy busts the door open.

Halo, Brion and Forager look up in surprise at us, causing me to put my arms on my hips,"This is why you don't go in unprepared," I point out before walking to Brion and grabbing hold of the chip on his neck, "Now, hold still." I mutter before I break it off,
him grunting as I do so.

The others help Forager and Halo while Conner makes sure Sphere is okay. "There you go, girl," He mutters as he pats her lightly.

"You gotta figure the Shadows are on their way," Artemis says sending us a wary look.

"Then let's move!" M'gann says, a new determination seeping into her tone.

We run down the hallway and Conner busts through the doors with a grunt.

Sensei, another assassin and Ubu are staring back at us.

I glare, my eyes narrowing at them as I get really to fight, "We just wanna leave." I say, trying to keep peace.

Sensei looks at me, and I know he knows who we are, he knows Brooklyn. "Your trespass must be punished." He narrows his eyes at us.

Conner tenses beside me as he get ready to fight, "Wrong answer." He says before he launches himself at Sensei and I take the unnamed assassin.

Black Lightning takes Ubu as the assassin swings at me, but I block with my escrima sticks, before I try to round house kick him, only for him to dodge, and jump at me. I flip away and hit him back as the others try and take down Ubu and Sensei.

The assassin lands a kick, causing me to grunt, as I step back before I land a hit on his jaw.

We both get ready to jump at each other when we hear a voice.

"Enough."

Everyone stops and I hate myself for stopping too at his command.

Ra's al Ghul's calculated gaze is already on me from the shadows, and I muster up the darkest glare I can for him.

"Well, young man. Are you proud of this little debacle?" He asks, tauntingly, "I believe the detective will be quite disappointed." He steps into the light and adds, "As well as a certain feline."

I grid my teeth and growl under my breath as he smiles down at me, satisfied that he hit home.

"I assume you came to recover these children?" He asks lightly as if we were friends, "Take them and go."

Brion, who I must have missed him getting heated, was now covered in lava and rock as he steps closer to Ra's al Ghul, "Not without my sister, Tara Markov! We know the League of Shadows has her!"

"Stay your tongue when addressing the Demon's Head," Sensei scolds him, ready to kill him if the demon so wants him to.

"It is fine, Sensei," Ra's al Ghul says, sending a wave of panic through me. He is being much more civil than he should be. "Boy, the Shadows may indeed have your sister, but I am no longer head of the Shadows. As you can see, there are no Shadows here." He says gesturing around before looking to me, "In fact, I'm no longer part of the Light." My eyes widen at this, but he continues, "A deal is a deal."