A kingdom of Sorrow

Ok so this story I had written around last year or so from the time of this short intro being written, and out of all the stories I've written for this character I decided to share the one where you're emotionally upset and Danny boi's gotta take care of you. (Originally planned for "le lemon fic" but we don't do smut here so take my emotional support fic and don't die on me?) Don't care how many other writers have done "depressed reader" fics, mine isn't trying to be like that. Sure, you're depressed, but things get better. Will you always remain depressed after that? Entirely up to you. I'm just glad I can finally finish writing this story for once, after my Word expired and all...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 It was a typical Spring day in the kingdom of Gallowmere; The people were busy in their daily activities, King Peregrin was seeing to the Royal Court, and all was fine and well...

...except for you, anyway.

 You were alone, and very much depressed with everything. Today, however, was going to be much different. You were headed off to the castle for personal reasons, though what those reasons were seemed a mystery. As you walked along the dirt paths in town, you'd receive the occasional glance from Townsfolk. Some wondered why you always chose to adorn mourning attire, while others assumed it was simply a way to hide all the murders you committed. No matter what assumption was made, the people always made habit to avoid you. Too quick to judge what made no sense in their eyes. You huffed and lowered your head, pulling your hood over more of your face to hide away from prying eyes. You didn't care what they thought, not anymore. You were far too busy planning a way into the castle.

 Approaching the front gates, you saw plenty of guards on duty to protect the King. If they saw you coming unannounced, you could be thrown in the dungeon... or worse. That's when you noticed a badly weather worn door off to the side a bit. Seeing as nobody was guarding it, you hastened your steps and entered this "side entrance", hoping it would lead you inside the castle walls. Sure enough, and surprising to you, this entrance spat you out into the hallway near the King's bedroom. You took in a deep breath, and started walking.

 Now inside, you had to plan your moves carefully, lest you be cast out by the guards and lose your chance. Making your way to the upper floors, you sped past an open door and caught the attention of the man inside. He blinked a few times, trying to register what it was he just saw, before getting up to follow you. Curiosity, after all, was a hell of a drug. As you snuck through the castle, the man took some time to study you. You didn't seem like the type to sneak in and commit Regicide, though, if that WAS what you were planning, wouldn't it have been easier to wait in the King's Quarters until he decided to rest? It's happened before, and the man recalled the criminal being dragged off to the Asylum for it all. Suddenly you made a sharp turn up a spiral staircase and picked up speed, nearly running to the top and flying through the door. The man knew where those stairs led...

...nothing good ever came from that door.

 Nervously opening it, the man saw you perched on the window ledge, looking out over the mountainous cliff below. Careful to not alert you of his presence, he closed to door as softly as he could before making his way to where you were stood. You let out a shaky breath, tears streaming down your face as you prepared to step off the ledge and prove time and time again that humans could never fly. Just as you made motion to 'jump', as it were, the man shot a hand forward and gripped tightly to your arm, startling you and causing you to slip backwards. Dangling over the edge of the window, you glared at the man with a burning hatred, knowing he just ruined your only chance at a thing like this. Now holding you back with both arms so you wouldn't slip, the man decided to get some answers. "Uh, 'scuse me for interrupting, but are you ok?" He asked, voice a tad strained from the sudden weight he was now supporting. You huffed. "Leave me be... I'm not but a burden on those who speak to me. I haven't a place left in this world and now I finally have a chance to be rid of it all; a chance to be happy again. I don't want to lose it because of some snitch to the King." You spat, anger and fear welling up inside you. You knew the King would banish you for trying something like this. Hell, he might just throw you in the Asylum and be done with you. You tried pulling your arm out of the man's grip, and the sudden fear that plastered his face almost caused you to worry. Almost. "Well, diving out the window of the Sorcerer's tower isn't going to help." The man said, somehow managing to pull you back in. You couldn't tell if you were seething of anger or pain, as when you looked down you noticed you cut yourself fairly bad. The man noticed too, and sat you down nearby the door, quickly setting to work cleaning and tending the wound. "Why..?" You muttered. "Why save me?" "Well, s'cuz I couldn't bear to live with a preventable death on my conscience." He said, finishing up and taking you back to his room. "Besides, rumor has it the Sorcerer's a Necromancer. So even if you DID die he'd use your body for his malicious magic." You didn't want to believe the man, but at the same time it would explain the underlying creep aura Lord Zarok carried at times.

 Stepping into the man's room, you noticed things were very fancy and decorative in here. As if this man was the Prince or something. "Uh, please make yourself comfortable." He said, scratching the back of his head as if he was nervous. "Who are you?" You asked almost immediately, and the man looked at you with kind eyes. "My name is Daniel. Most people call me Dan. And yourself?" He replied, and you shrugged a bit. "(y/n)... Not that it really matters." "Well (y/n), it's a pleasure to meet you. Now I've got some things to attend to, so try not to get yourself hurt while I'm gone, ok?" Dan said, grabbing his sword from his large desk and heading out the door. You were alone again, and while a big part of you thought now would be a good time to finish what you started, you stayed; reading books and eventually taking a nap. When you finally woke up, Dan had just returned. "Glad to see you stayed." He said, sounding relieved. Setting down his sword he came and sat down with you on the bed, doing a very quick check to see if you had any more injuries from earlier. You smiled ever so little at that.

 Maybe things were getting better after all...