Chapter 5 - Butterfly effect

6 survivors (+Sparta)

Nobuyuki was in the back of the elevator, turning half his back to us. He was squeezing the knob of his cane, which he was holding straight in front of him. It was hard to see from where I was but he wasn't smiling. Sparta on his shoulder seemed much less lively than usual. Kaori had also quickly reached the elevator before anyone else. She was standing against the wall, arms crossed. Ruruka, Midori and I entered after them both, all in silence. We all turned around when Mariko finally decided to join us and the doors closed behind her. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth to break this unbearable silence:

"It's gonna be okay now.. I don't have to be afraid to talk anymore, we're all gonna make it."

"In that case, hurry up and tell us what you know." Nobuyuki replied in a dry tone without turning around.

"Calm down! There's no point in talking to her like that!" Ruruka protested.

"Calm down? I'm completely calm! But we still don't know how to get out of here! I can't believe Riku died for that kind of conclusion."

"Riku didn't die because of Mariko, okay! You have a lot of responsibility in there! If you had not been so stubborn to find "the traitor", all this could have been avoided, you know!" Added Kaori.

"And you really think I don't know that?" he answered, shaking his hand a little more on his cane.

"What's done is done.. Let's try to stay focused, okay?" Responded Midori. "I.. I still have a bad feeling about the execution."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Wouldn't that be considered suicide? And that's against the rules, right? But Monokuma can't punish someone who's already dead."

"Do you think he might come after us?" Panicked Ruruka.

"Mariko, you who were close to Junko, do you know what might happen?" Kaori asked.

She glanced at Nobuyuki.

"Don't worry, you can tell us everything you can. If anyone tries to mess with you, they'll have to deal with me first." she smiled.

"I'm sorry but I don't know everything.. She didn't really talk to me about the rules etc as I was supposed to disappear from the game.. Ever since she met this guy, she's completely abandoned me and put me away. Basically, it was Junko's class that was supposed to play in this game but he completely flipped her brain."

"This guy?" Midori repeated.

"Um yeah, I'm not sure who it is. I just saw him from afar a few times."

"And who is this Junko you're all talking about?" Ruruka asked, squinting.

"Junko Enoshima, the Ultimate Fashionista. She created this killing game with the help of other Hope's Peak students." I replied.