Chapter 2 - Booked to the stake

13 Survivors

13 Survivors.

The elevator went up again in silence. Three people.. In one day, Monokuma had taken away three comrades from us. I.. I can't let anyone make mistakes again! But what the hell can I do.. What the hell can I do if he still finds a way to push someone over the edge.. I'm not a hero.. Mariko looked at me right in the eye.. What does she want from me! If only she had been the "blackened".. She will definitely create problems again. Once the elevator doors were open, Mariko grabbed me by the sleeve to stop me while everyone else was going out. She waited until everyone left to talk.

"Yumeji, Sh-"

"Oh? So now you can talk?" I was angry.

"She's not the one who should have died, I know. It wasn't planned.. I didn't want it.. To happen that way."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I don't know.. I'm lost.. "

"It's not my problem! You wanted to kill Eiichiro and Yumeji died because of you!! What makes you think I want to help you emotionally!" I shouted as I moved my arm to make her let go of me, then I went out of the room without looking back, but I still heard her whispering:

"Mom.. You abandoned me? .. I don't want to be alone.. Not again.."

Mechanically, I went to the gym. Her body was gone. As if nothing had happened.

"Asao?" Said a little voice behind me.

"Kaori? What are you doing here?"

"I was coming to see you.. I mean, I saw you coming here so I thought I should come talk to you."

"It's okay. Don't worry."

She got closer to me and when she came to the side to look, too, where Yumeji's body was, she kept talking.

"It's empty without her, huh.. Yumeji and Haruno were good at giving us courage and bringing us all together. Yumeji's good mood was very contagious too, she still managed to bring us all together to watch their training there with Sonosuke and Masato. She didn't even do it on purpose, I bet." she smiled.

"That's right.. haha"

"And Haruno.. He was kind of funny with his way of talking, too."

"But he still killed someone."

"Because of who?"

"Huh?"

"Because of who do you think he did this?" she repeated. Do you really think that under normal circumstances, he would have wanted to kill Ruruka and end up killing Sonosuke?"

"No, of course.. It's those stupid videos there."

"Yes! And Mariko, do you really think it's her fault that Yumeji died?"

"I don't know.. You.."

"Yes, I heard you." she said with a warm smile. "Everything that happened is horrible, but it's all Monokuma's fault! And.. For the sake of our friends, we should keep pulling together to get through this together, okay?"

"Ha ha .. You sound just like Yumeji! But you're right.. I don't even know why I'm reacting like this! It's not like I've known Yumeji my whole life, huh. Honestly, I don't even understand myself since we got here."

"Will you make an effort with Mariko then?"

"Fine, but I only do this for your beautiful eyes!" I added with a wink.

"Hey, watch out! My girlfriend wouldn't be too happy if a handsome guy came on to me!" she laughed.

"Oh sorry, I thought you'd be more the type of growing up old with 15 cats."

"Hey! Is that really what you think?!"

"Hahaha!! No, I'm messing with you!"

"I'll remember that!"

*Ding dong bing bong*

"Mm, ahem, this is an announcement from the school. It's now 10 o'clock at night. And so it's officially night time. Soon the cafeteria doors will be closed and access will be prohibited. Sweet dreams. Good night, sleep well and don't let the bed bugs bite~"

"Already.. We'd better go to bed. Everyone needs a good night's sleep there!" Kaori said.

"Yeah! After you, ma'am!" I replied, moving my hand in circle.

And now, back in this room that I had absolutely not missed! And as always, I am not sleepy.. How could anyone want to sleep in a situation like that? what? I don't find sleep because I usually spend whole nights on my computer? Pfff of course not, haha. No, I know it's partly because of that, but even so.. Well, I have nothing else to do, so I might as well close my eyes and try not to think too much about this day. Sleep will eventually arrive on its own. At least I hope..