Chapter Twenty - Six

Start from the beginning

King Jamie looked over at Grant now who had a sly smirk on his face.  When Grant caught the King's eye, he shrugged his shoulders and held his palms up in defeat.   King Jamie started laughing at Grant's antics and knew his friend very well.

As he continued looking over to his friend, King Jamie grinned, "Tis another tale to tell, Grant?"

"Aye, Sire," Grant winked and grinned.  "Perhaps over some ale, I will tell ye about McFadden's short visit here and his leaving scorned without his bride."

"Ye already take his side, Sire!" Callum bellowed as he leaped off of his stool.

The King's guards came to stand between their King and Callum but King Jamie just pushed them aside.   "Stand down, Callum," King Jamie warned him dangerously.   "Tis nae a side that I have taken.   Until I hear from all, I willna make a decision what is to happen with Lady Kathryn's future.   I will tell ye this much Callum, ye try my patience with your outbursts.  Tis understood?"

Forcing himself to stand down, Callum bowed to his King and mumbled his apology, taking his seat back once again.   This time two more of King Jamie's guard went to stand beside Callum as their King just motioned them too.

"Laird McGregor," King Jamie used his formal name to address Callum.  "Have ye no heard the tale of Douglas McFadden from court?"

"Nae, Sire," Callum answered him bitterly.   He felt like a child with having two guards standing beside him.

"Well, twas accused of rape, he was.   Douglas McFadden, the man ye betrothed your daughter too," King Jamie informed him as he watched Callum's face pale and then turn red from embarrassment.  "Perhaps Callum if ye had come to court with your lovely wife and daughter, ye would know of such things."

"Tell us ye dinna know, Da," Jamie interrupted and asked his Da as all eyes turned to him.  "If ye knew about Douglas, Da, and ye still betrothed Kathyrn to him, I dinna believe I could ever forgive ye for that."

"Nae," Callum almost stood but then quickly righted himself when the guards came closer.  "Tis swearing that I do."   Callum looked over at his King now, "Tis truth I speak, Sire.  I swear to ye, I dinna know this about Douglas McFadden.    Twas eager he was to marry Kathryn, signed the betrothal without even viewing her."

"Of course he was eager to marry her, since I accused him of rape several years ago, he needs a bride and no man in his right mind would marry their daughter to that lecher," King Jamie told Callum angrily.   "He needs an heir to continue the name, but twill be nae a daughter of noble birth that will marry him."

"Verra well then, Sire," Callum nodded in understanding.

"Tis thanking that ye need to do, Callum," King Jamie glared at him.  "Lady Kathryn's marriage to Grant saved your daughter a life of misery."

Biting his lip and not wanting to offend his King, Callum just nodded in Grant's direction.   

"Are ye done?" King Jamie asked Callum.

"Aye," Callum nodded and took his goblet of ale, downing most of it.

"Grant," King Jamie turned to his friend and smiled.  "Ye make speak now."

"Thank ye, Sire," Grant responded and sat up straighter on his stool.  "Tis no much to say.   I love Kathryn.    I will treat her well, with respect.  She willna ever want for naught.   I met her twice afore.  The first time at Castle Campbell when she was a wee lass.  Then I met her again at Gavin and Lady Evelyn's wedding, here at Castle McGregor.   Weeks ago, Gavin and Evelyn came for a visit and Lady Kathryn journeyed with them.   When I saw her, after speaking with her, I knew I wanted her for my wife.   She felt the same as I did, so I asked Gavin for her hand.   Twas told to him that he was her guardian while they journeyed.   He approved of the match, we married shortly after."