forty - hurricane

"just remember, if he tries to rape you or murder you or something, give me a call."

"thanks mai."

i take a step out of the car onto the footpath, waving goodbye to mai as she drives off into the distance.

this shouldn't be so hard. i mean, it's only londin? one of my closest friends.

or is he? a voice nags in my head. he asked you out.

i ignore it, walking across the sand towards where i know the little shack is.

i pull out my phone nervously. five minutes to six.

in the end i take off my shoes because it's hard to navigate the sand with them on. the salty air whips my hair into my face and i tuck it back behind my ear to try and prevent it to blinding me.

the sun has only just begun to set over the horizon and the sky is alit with orange and red, reflected in the ocean.

"you like sunsets?" he asks. i nod, because of course i do. they're beautiful.

he smiles. "same."

i smile at the memory of the sunset from our first date - not unlike this one. we had eaten barbecue and sat on the beach admiring the horizon with the water lapping around our toes. i had loved it.

i reach the shack and climb onto the little veranda out the front. i'm about to knock on the door when i pause. i hear a guitar being played. does londin play the guitar? surely not, otherwise he would've mentioned it. or maybe i've come to the wrong place? i knock, and the door opens to a familiar face peering down at me. he's wearing those glasses again, the same from our first date.

"you came," he says, relieved, a grin breaking across his face.

"yep."

his eyes travel down my body and back up to my eyes. i feel suddenly self-conscious and that i should've worn something nicer then jeans and an old vamps t-shirt.

"come in," he says, gesturing towards the interior.

i follow him in and take a seat on the small lounge.

"so i wasn't sure if you were coming or not so i just ordered pizza if that's okay."

"londin, you know me, i love pizza almost as much as i love the vamps."

he chuckles lightly.

everything feels awkward, wrong, tense - much unlike our first date.

i look around for the source of the guitar strumming that i had heard but there was nothing at all that could've made it. weird, i must have been imagining it.

londin excuses himself to go to the toilet. a few minutes later he comes out with his hands clasped behind his back. he looks slightly pale.

"luca?"

"yeah?"

"i know i've already asked you to be my girlfriend, but i want to have a redo. i want to make it better because you deserve better."

he procures a bouquet of flowers from behind his back.

"i don't know if you ever told me your favourite type of flowers, but i know your favourite colour is purple. so here you are."

i'm gaping, shocked.

"please say something."

"they're gorgeous!" i exclaim, finally finding words. "thank you!"

he smiles, looking relieved again.

"just give me a sec." he rushes off to one of the bedrooms, the one he slept in last time (i'd slept in the other) and comes back with a guitar in his hand. maybe i hadn't been imagining things.