7. "I Did It"

The next morning, Nandini woke up late since she couldn't sleep till late as her mind was occupied with various thoughts. She rubbed her eyes and her eyes fell on the side table where Manik left a bunch of keys and a note saying 'Good morning beautiful...Here are the keys for all the rooms...Enjoy yourself...Will be late tonight...'

She smiled at the note and realized that a piece of paper too can bring a smile on her face. She got freshen up and spent some time with Anitha in the kitchen, helped her in other chores while talking about all the things in the world and then went to the mini library upstairs.

Her fingers ran through his collection of books and her eyebrows raised in surprise seeing them. Being a writer herself, she is always fond of reading and the books fascinated her so much. She selected one of them and sat on the study table there itself and just forgot the time she has been in there till Anitha called her for dinner.

"You have it Anitha...I'll wait till Manik comes..." She said with a smile but Anitha replied "He said he will be late...He has a surgery to attend...Kha le tu..."

"It's okay...I'm not hungry anyways...You eat and rest...I'll wait..." Nandini said and Anitha asked if she is sure on waiting as he might be very late and Nandini assured that she will manage.

Anitha had her dinner and went to her room while Nandini got immersed in the book till her eyes dropped unknowingly. The sound of door downstairs woke her up and she blinked her eyes and walked out of the room and looked down at the couch in the living room from there. Manik walked in slowly and slumped down on the couch and rubbed his face with his palms and brushed his hairs with his fingers, unaware of Nandini's eyes at him.

She looked at his face which showed his tiredness and his eyes were begging him to close them for once and just sleep for heaven sake. He tried to open his cuffs but was damn tired that he left it as it is and arched his head back with his eyes closed. His legs hurt as he was standing for hours performing a surgery and the after consultations kept him on toes till he walked out of the hospital calling it for a day. She shook her head in disbelief and walked downstairs and took a glass of water.

"Manik" She called out slowly and he opened his eyes at a jerk and looked at her. She was amused to see his face as his lips curved into a smile and his lifeless eyes sparkled seeing her. He has a relief in his face after seeing her and she understood that and her heart swell in happiness.

What else a heart wants more than knowing that you are someone's relief...!!!

She smiled at him forwarding the glass of water and he gulped it in a go while his tiredness flew away in seconds compared to what she witnessed from upstairs.

"Didn't you sleep yet...!??" He asked and she fake glared at him saying "Haan...I've slept...It's my ghost standing in front of you..."

He chuckled and she sat beside him and took his hands in hers and unbuttoned his cuffs as he looked at her lovingly. She bent forward and opened his top button and he sighed in relief with a smile. She looked at his shoes and bent down and his reflexes were quick to stop her saying "What...what...??? Kya kar rahi ho...?? I'll do it myself..."

She chuckled as he removed the shoes and she asked "Tired...??"

"Not anymore" He replied with a smile and asked "How was your day...??"

"Good...Spent some time with Anitha and explored your library...It's fantastic Manik...Your collection of books is too good..." She said with a broad smile that reflected on his face instantly like a mirror.

"Good to hear" He said and leaned back on the couch again and she asked "How was yours...??"

"Mine...Ummm...Few consultations in the morning...A surgery in the evening...which took almost 7 hours to be done..." He said and continued in a flow "You know...It was an open heart surgery...for a 40-year man...He is the only bread winner of the family Nandini...His wife doesn't know anything other than taking care of him and his children...His kids are still studying...No proper relatives that stood by her..."