Hope Lies In Dreams

Start from the beginning

"Oh?" she teased. "You're gonna take Geordi in your arms and sweet talk him too?"

She grinned from behind her mug.

"Something like that," Data replied.

He could hear the subtle change of inflection in her voice whenever she teased him, and Data was growing more comfortable throwing it back at her.

Data felt that he needed to spend some time with Geordi to try and patch things up. In addition, Data wanted to be close at hand to oversee the upgrades.

The Bynars were an interesting people and Data had read numerous reports on their work.

"And you?" Data inquired.

"The Maintenance crew challenged the Security Office to a friendly game of Parrises Squares," Tasha explained. "I sort of promised Worf I'd, you know."

She shrugged.

"So I should request that you smile for me now before you come back with fewer teeth?" Data quipped.

Tasha punched his shoulder playfully.

"I'm not going to get hurt," Tasha assured him. "I already told Worf if I'm playing, I'm not blocking opposite him."

Data breathed a sigh of relief at that news.

"You are better free sweep in any case," Data said.

"You really think so?" Tasha asked.

"My statistical analysis is rarely wrong," Data replied.

"Let's hope it's not. I'll never live it down if Frohike beats us," Tasha admitted.

Maintenance had been itching for a rematch against Security for months.

Tasha took a sip of her coffee.

As soon as she was finished, Data took the mug from her hand. He set it behind her on the replicator tray. Then he took hold of Tasha's hand and pulled it to his lips.

"There is a Saurian restaurant on the base. I took the liberty of booking a table, should you wish to join me for dinner?" Data asked.

It was situated on one of the upper pylons and featured a unique view of the Luna-like moon that orbited Tarsus III. It wasn't just the view that had enticed Data.

While Saurian brandy was a popular drink among many Federation peoples, Saurian food had never really caught on.

It meant the Saurian establishment was off the beaten path, tucked away from the main promenade and likely not a spot most of the crew would know about.

"What time?" Tasha asked.

"18:00 hours," Data advised.

"I'll see you then," Tasha promised.

----------

Data was on the Bridge with Commander Riker and Captain Picard.

"We've got you cleared," the Operator at Starbase 74 reported. "You may begin docking procedure."

"Take her in, Mr Crusher," Riker ordered.

Wesley carefully guided the ship forward using the impulse engines as the Enterprise glided into position on the fifth dock.

"Coming into position now, sir," Wesley reported.

"Standby to dock," Data said.

He was monitoring the ship's sensors for the moment when they were aligned with the docking clamps. The indicator lights on his console shifted to green.