[chapter twelve] always an object, never a person

Start from the beginning

As much as I despised him, I knew he wasn't a liar. Aiden didn't lie, and that was a part of him I didn't completely loathe. He was stupid enough to tell me information that he shouldn't have been giving me, and if he was stupid enough to do that I was curious to know how much more I could squeeze out of him. 

He became a new necessity. 

"What the fuck are these?" I questioned whilst holding up the chunky chains that sat around my wrists. They weren't usual restraints, they were laced with something I hadn't seen before.  

"They are designed to stop you from using magic so you can't break out of them."

Smart. And possibly useful. 

Slowly, I leant against the wall, silence filled the air as I subtly analysed my surroundings. I wouldn't have gone far but I wouldn't still be close to Beacon Hills. Glancing up at the ceiling, I peeked through the crack to see the moon hanging above my head in a similar place to the last position I had seen it in, meaning it had been maybe an hour since I was in the woods. 

Calm, cool and collected. I didn't scream, didn't make a scene, I was silent and from the way Aiden was frowning at me, I knew my silence scarred him a lot more than any screaming could. I was curious as to find out why Deucalion wanted me, why he was so infatuated with me. He had been for years and part of me thought he was the one that Braeden was on about when she said someone was after me.

But then again I had a lot of enemies, ranging in the thousands, so it could be whoever.

As footsteps echoed from the staircase, I quickly closed my eyes and evened out my breathing to appear asleep. I refused to be spotted, refused to appear as if I was awake. I needed to grab every advantage I could, every piece of information. 

"Jeez Ethan, how hard did you hit her?" Alex asked.

 "You were supposed to get the girl, not sleeping beauty-" Kali snickered, the playfulness in her cruel voice wasn't hard to miss.

"That girl could kill you without as much as blinking, don't disrespect her." Deucalion snarled, jumping to my defence as he once did years ago. "You haven't seen just how powerful she is."

"Is that why you want her? Because she's powerful?" Aiden demanded from beside me. 

"I have watched her grow up, from the moment Talia brought her to a meeting until the day before her tenth birthday. I watched her become one of the most feared and powerful supernatural beings in the world. Haven't you all realised? She's not just a witch, she's The Eve witch." The myth, the monster, the rumour, the legend. "She's the one who took out her entire coven effortlessly- who killed her ancestors. She's the one who took down the Elites. Aires Hale isn't just feared by the witches, she's feared by the world."

"Is this why you want her?" Aiden demanded yet again. "To prove a fucking point that nobody can mess with you?"

"Whether you think it or not Aiden, having her in our pack would be protecting her." He snarled back. "I once made a promise to her mother that I would look out for her. I've been looking out for her over the years. She's dying, did she tell you that?"

Deafening silence filled the air and even though my eyes were closed, I could feel Aiden's gaze on me. I could feel the intensity of his stare. I desperately wanted to open my eyes, to see what emotion was behind his. I didn't though, I kept mine closed and faked he same facade. My plan wouldn't work if they knew I was awake too early.

"She's dying, Aiden." Deucalion continued, and I wanted nothing more than to jump up and snap his neck. "Did your little girlfriend not tell you that? The Darach, the one causing chaos in this town, is the one poisoning her. The Darach needs her to complete its sacrifice. Everything always leads back to Aires Hale. I need her on my side, I will not let her die at the hands of the Darach."