CHAPTER SIX

ou paced back and forth into the living room. The Senator was on the phone with her from Washington, D.C. He dropped his deep bass and took on a tender voice. "Do you know if daddy left a will? My office got a call from L.K. Hikes Law in Los Angeles. They filed a petition for probate for my brother's estate. A mail with a hearing date is due soon."

Kou held the phone tightly in both hands and gradually descended on the couch for a minute. She turned on the speaker, placed it on a small vintage rust-colored marble table and rubbed her sweaty palms together. Then she folded her arms, bowed her head, and forced out a big pound of air through her nostril. It calmed her anxiety and relaxed her mind.

"Are you ok?" Chris mused.

She wiped her eyes and running nose with the back of her hand and stuttered. "They notified me this morning. I least expected a fight that dishonors our father's death. But who else would have been an executioner of daddy's will, if not you, Uncle?"

Chris held on for a while. "Mmm... Orion talked about a will that he named you as the sole beneficiary of his share in KELT Oil and Gas Cooperation."

"Daddy made me that offer on my twenty-sixth birthday. But I have contacted the LA County Probate Court, and the will was never lodged. I'm in touch with daddy's company because his lawyers are cons."

"Any living trust?"

"Yes. For some properties. I'm the trustee and beneficiary of our home here."

"Beverly Hills?"

"Correct."

"Lord! Great."

"There's nothing else that I can attest to. But there's a will somewhere."

The Senator stuck the phone between his raised-left shoulder and tilted head and overturned papers with both hands. His secretary walked, stood by the door, and signaled to him, tapping her left wrist with two fingers. He raised his eyebrows at her and nodded before she walked away.

"I'll make a few calls when I'm back at my office. We have a meeting with the President," he politely dismissed Kou.

"Bye, uncle."

****

Tristen and Skyler had filed a Petition for Probate with the California Superior Court in Los Angeles County and requested a Letter of Administration for Orion's estate. It was just a day before. They asked the court to distribute their father's estate intestate. The court scheduled a hearing in six weeks in which a Special Representative would be appointed by the judge to administer Orion's estate.

The next evening, the brothers drove to a massive house in South East Los Angeles and pulled over in the shaded back. It was 5:47 p.m. and already dark. The garage opened, and they drove through it. It was a narrow space connected with the twin garage at the front of the house. The garage was cleared of things except for two shining wheels that lay in the back. No one parked a car in there; it was restricted. The house sat deep in the ground, with the entire left side tucked into a space, drilled through a long overhang.

Tristen got out of the polar white Mercedes Benz driver's seat. He slowly slammed the door and waited on Skyler, who sat and looked at his phone. Skyler came out of the car, fully focused on his phone. He sent a quick text, muted the phone, and tossed it into the passenger's seat. They walked into the open space through the living room.

An arch stood at the exit out of the living room down the stairs. Tristen carefully led his brother through it. There was a beeping sound that accelerated when Skyler stepped through the arch. He backed off and stood before the concealed metal detector.