_______________

"Are you happy?" Eshal, Adab's elder sister asked. They both were sprawled on the bed after changing into their night clothes.

"I guess," Adab shrugged.

"What do you mean by you guess?" Eshal turned towards her sister and intently asked.

Adab sighed. "I mean I don't know. It all feels so overwhelming."

"What is overwhelming?"

"Becoming someone's wife, daughter-in-law. All these new relationships are frightening."

Eshal reached over to hold Adab's hand. "Don't stress yourself. All these feelings are normal."

"Did it happen to you as well?" Adab asked.

Eshal had gotten married to Ayaan Baig five years ago. They had met through some mutual friends and instantly liked each other. Ayaan asked her out, and she agreed. A few months of dating, and they knew they wanted to spend their lives together. Six months later, they were married with the blessings of their families.

"Every bride gets nervous, Adab. I did too. But Ayaan had always had my back, and I'm sure Zaroon would be the same."

Adab had always admired and respected her brother-in-law for unconditionally loving her sister. Even when the couple found out that Eshal was infertile, Ayaan stood like a rock and assured her that he didn't care if they couldn't have a child. Eshal was enough for him. Adab had always prayed for a love like that, and she hoped for the same with Zaroon.

"How did you know that you loved Ayaan jiju?" Adab asked her sister.

A faint smile appeared on Eshal's face. "He felt like home. Like I'd rather be in his arms than anywhere else, you know..." She trailed off, dreamingly.

Adab slowly hummed, pretending that she understood. But she didn't. Zaroon had confessed his love to her on more than one occasion, and she had never answered back to him. She didn't think she understood what love was in the first place for her to voice it out. She tried to think if he felt like home to her, but her heart had no answer. Ignoring the disappointment that creeped inside her, she convinced herself that her feelings would intensify once they're married.

The next day, Adab found her mother, Mehr, in the living room with their family jeweler.

"I was just about to call you. Come, have a seat." Mehr patted on the space beside her.

"What's going on, Maa?" She asked as she sat down on the couch.

"We need to finalize the designs of your wedding jewelry." Mehr said.

Adab's eyes widened a little. "So soon?" She squeaked. "I mean, the wedding date is not even decided yet."

"How long will it take to decide the wedding date? But making the jewelry will take time." Mehr pointed out.

"But.." Adab was cut by her mother.

"Tell me, do you want to wear gold, diamond, or pearls on your special day?" Mehr excitedly asked.

"I don't know. Whatever you suggest!" Adab sighed.

"Everything looks good on you. But I think pearls make you look exceptional." Mehr said.

By Allah's grace, Arsalaan's business was booming, and Mehr was also a very successful vlogger and social media icon. So the couple could afford to give their daughters everything that their heart desired for. But Mehr made sure not to repeat the same mistake that her mother and Zaroon's dadi, Late Faiza Hussain had done, that was to spoil her daughters rotten.

"Pearls it is, then." Adab declared and the jeweler started to show them a variety of designs.

But Adab's attention was not on the designs. She looked down at the ring that Zaroon had made her wear yesterday. Her fingers played with it as a strange emotion sank inside her. She wanted to be happy, she was trying her best to be happy. But still, her heart was clenched by an uncertain fear. No matter how hard she tried, the talk about her wedding scared her. It wasn't like she didn't like Zaroon, she did. She had herself said yes to marry him when her parents had asked her formally. But something didn't feel right to her.

Taking a deep breath, she mentally shook her head to get rid of all those negative thoughts and focused back on the jewelry. She convinced herself that she was just overthinking.

At that time, she was unaware of the cruel game destiny was about to play with her, at the end of which, hearts would be broken, and lives would be destroyed.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

What did you think of the first chapter?

It felt so different to write Eshal's character as a big, old sister after portraying her a the sweet, little girl in Be-shumaar.

Vote before leaving and comment down your thoughts. I'll be reading all of them.