Chapter 44

"Ah, Alice?" Irene was surprised to be greeted by Alice as soon she arrived at the funeral. Suddenly Alice started to cry, "Irene! I'm so glad you made it out safely! I would have been lost if I lost my best friend too."

Alice then hugged Irene while crying and Irene stood there shocked, so she didn't move for a while. Alice was hugging Irene while crying after some seconds, Irene's right hand started to pat Alice's back.

"I'm sorry, did I scare you?" Irene smiled in relief.

"Yes, you did!" Alice said as she continued to sob.

"I thought you will be mad at me and abandoned me..." Irene said sadly, Alice suddenly retracted from the hug.

"Why would you ever say that?" Alice said worriedly.

Irene smirked in her head and said pitifully, "It's from past experience," she said side glancing her family behind for a hot second.

The Grand Duke flinched.

Irene knew this action was quite inappropriate to do at a funeral, but the Count would have enjoyed the slander on the Grand Duke.

Alice just blinked and her eyes softened, "Well, I am glad you are alive and those people in your past experience are scums!"

Alice...you called the Grand Duke a scum.

Irene bit her lips to hold in a chuckle, who knew the first thing did in the Count's funeral was a small laugh.

With her biting her lips so then made an ever-so-pitiful face, which then Irene hugged Alice.

"Thank you so much."

Then the funeral proceeded.

Irene looked up at the cloudy sky, it seemed like it was going to rain.

How cliché.

Speeches when on and on, it was a sad day. The Count's and Countess's seemed to impact everyone. However, greediness still exists.

"What is going to happen with their title?"

"Alice is way too young to take the Count title."

"Heh, she's a girl, very unlikely."

Irene listened to the disgusting comments about the Count's inheritance and title, but the answer was already clear for Irene.

Alice is going to inherit everything and is going to claim her father's title once she's eighteen.

The problem is who's going to take her in?

Irene glanced to Grand Duke who has been silently standing, hasn't spoken during the funeral. Shivers went down Irene's spine, all eyes on us.

The Grand Duke's family, what are they going to do?

Irene knew exactly what he was going to do.

Alice was an emotional wreck after everyone did their speeches, she was crying and kneeling on her parents' grave. Irene watched the sight, it was quite pitiful.

"Didn't Irene run in the fire too?"

Irene's eyes widened and quickly turned her head towards the person who was speaking, just another greedy noble. Irene looked down for a while and then felt droplets of rain landing on her hair.

Irene looked up as the rain droplets slide down her face and it seems some nobles were leaving, Irene stood there looking up.

Alice didn't move a single bit nor the Grand Duke's family.

Irene kept her head up, she then heard footsteps walking, Irene looked at the source of the noise. Irene looked at the Grand Duke approaching Alice and started to bend down.