Chapter 55

"Why are you two here," the Grand Duke spoke in a low voice, Josiah gave him an awkward smile as Sasha waved to the man.

"Sasha wanted to visit Irene!" Josiah mentioned it right away.

Sasha nodded with much energy, Irene was in a terrible mood. Lately, she seemed to be invited to the Grand Duke's office more often.

It's truly annoying.

But all Irene could do for now was just to put on her winning smile.

Josiah dragged Sasha towards the seats on the sofa, Irene was already seated.

Alice stayed at Irene's mansion with anxiety.

"You can't really deny guests, especially if they are Royal siblings...and your closest friend and fiancee," Irene said to the Grand Duke.

What she said was true so the Grand Duke had to turn a blind eye to the situation.

"Now, why am I called here," Irene cut right to the chase, being called here for Ralph could be a piece of good or bad news.

Irene learned many things when she visits the Grand Duke's office, but the most important is that his three sons are always present.

Silence filled the room for some seconds, the sound of the documents ruffling in the hands of the Grand Duke.

You did not just call me here to waste time.

The siblings sat there awkwardly drinking the tea served and chewing the snacks on the table.

The three sons looked at Irene with uncertain glances, off and on. They look at her and then look away.

Time was really ticking, what seemed like seconds felt as if hours passed for the people present in the room.

"So...as you heard Sir Ralph's team had returned," the Grand Duke finally opened his mouth.

Dude. I don't need a recap, hurry up!

"Yes, and what about it?" Irene replied with a stiff smile.

"The mission ended in a rather...odd situation," the Grand Duke for the first time had shown a face full of anxiety.

Irene's heart dropped.

"What do you mean about odd?" Josiah asked before Irene could, the Grand Duke took a deep breath before speaking.

"Some men started to disappear one by one...eventually there was one left," the Grand Duke explained stiffly.

"But you said Ralph's team returned? Where was the team? Who returned?" Irene asked the questions that were eating her up.

"Ralph was the only one returned, the team of five...they had quite a bond," the Grand Duke could express some kind of empathy.

Irene knew Ralph was hurting right now when Elle died in front of his eyes...he cried saying it was his fault.

Irene knowing Ralph enough was probably blaming himself for the situation.

"How could that be possible?" Josiah asked with a stern voice.

"I don't have the answers, but that's all Ralph said before he suddenly stopped talking," the Grand Duke spoke.

"He was in shock," the Grand Duke said.

Irene fell on the couch, no wonder the three boys were giving her the stares.

Sasha stayed quiet, however, her eyes went sharp.

"The answer is clear without asking," she spoke as she wiped her mouth, Josiah looked at her sister and something clicked as well.

Irene's mind clicked as well.