02 : 𝖩𝗎𝗇𝗂𝗈𝗋 𝖨𝗇𝗌𝗉𝖾𝖼𝗍𝗈𝗋 𝖪𝖺𝗇𝗀

_____꧁❀꧂_____

The Coussac City Police Department (CCPD) resided at the heart of the city's unruly downtown. It was nothing but a towering block of painted concrete, basking underneath the French sun. The atmosphere inside was suffocating. Stuffy. Intimidating. As lights from the ceiling cascaded down the paper-covered work desks, police officers scurried about, displacing orders through their phones. They reeked coffee and sweat— two scents that they had gotten used to after decades of restless and just service.

Amidst the swarm of middle-aged men sat a newly promoted Police Inspector Kang Taehyun. Fairly young and tough, he was able to climb through the pedestals due to his connections. Mayor Jang had personally rounded his position, mainly because he was his daughter's lover. The department never questioned this however as Inspector Kang was able to showcase his dedication and maturity at work.

"Yes, I understand," the young man muttered through the phone. "But I haven't gotten my salary yet, madam."

Inspector Kang turned his chair around, the telephone placed on his strong lap. He sat heavily, back slumped against the soft cushion as his long fingers traced the lines of the sage-tinted plastic. He dryly licked his lips, his doe eyes scanning the boring wall in front of him. A faint babble of speech erupted from the many holes of the speaker, tickling his ears yet at the same time, aggravating him.

"I know my sister's quite a handful, but I promise I'll bail her out as soon as I get my balances cleared."

"The orphanage is short of funds, child. The more kids we take care of, the harder it is to make ends meet."

"Of course, I'm aware of your financial situation, madam."

"Lily's papers are due next month. It's either you take her home or we'll be forced to find her a foster family."

"Is my sister with you right now?" Inspector Kang gulped. "May I have a word with her?"

A soft sigh from the other side made his brows furrow. He heard her call for his sibling and within a second, Lily's voice rang through the receiver.

"Taehyun," she addressed. "Is it true?"

"Hmm?"

"That you're leaving me behind."

"Lily," Inspector Kang straightened. "Who told you that?"

"My friends," the young girl whispered. "They said they heard you and Madam Heidi talk last week."

"And you believed them?"

"Don't you want me anymore? Are you seriously going to let them hand me over to another family?"

"Lily, no," Inspector Kang painfully shuddered. "Your so-called friends lied to you. Listen to me, you can only hold on to my promises and nothing else. I'm gonna get you out of there."

"When?"

"I don't know," he confessed. "But I'll find a way, alright?"

"Why don't you ask your girlfriend? Can't her daddy do something?"

"Sweetheart, Ivy's a busy woman, so is Mayor Jang. I don't want to put another weight on their shoulders. We can do this all alone."