18

MATTHEW MURDOCK HAD BEEN ABANDONED HIS ENTIRE LIFE

  MATTHEW MURDOCK HAD BEEN ABANDONED HIS ENTIRE LIFE. The feeling that bubbled up from your stomach into your throat until tears cascaded down your cheek was something he had experienced too many times. Empty spaces in his life where the person he loved used to fill surrounded him. No matter how many times he begged and prayed like a dying man, no matter how much he cried until his body could barely inhale, no matter how much he adored the person, they would always leave. Shredding another piece of him away.

  He convinced himself he liked to be alone. But he knew deep down he hated it. The hole in his heart only got bigger when he sat by himself for the hundredth time. All he wanted was somebody who would be so stubborn that they would never leave him, even if he wrote an entire essay on why it wasn't safe to be with him. Somebody to hold him so impossibly close and whisper reassurances in his ear as he listened to their heartbeat, a reminder they were still there with him. Somebody who would kiss his scars when he felt self-conscious. Somebody who would never ever disappear on him and leave him behind.

  Foggy had been with him since college, his closest friend and his fellow avocado in law. Their bond was supposedly unbreakable but now it was being put to the test. Foggy was cracking from all the lies that he had discovered and he didn't know if he would still be friends with Matt by the end of this.

  The Devil of Hell's kitchen was made to help people, to save innocent lives and put the filthy criminals in jail cells but his name had been dragged through mud and made to be the villain. Wilson Fisk was the villain not him. The public's view was distorted through Fisk's contacts and plans, and now all they saw was the masked man as the enemy of the small city.

  Stick had told him to become a soldier and ready for the war. Young Matthew never understood what he was on about and he still doesn't know what that old man was yapping about. A war was on its way but it wasn't the one Stick was thinking of, it was the battle of Wilson Fisk vs The Devil of Hell's Kitchen and he was determined to win.

  Matthew Murdock was losing track of how many lies that spewed out of his mouth when making excuses for his injuries and absences. He claimed to value truth but now look what has become of him. Jack, his father, told him that he would never let him become a boxer and that he should focus on his studies so he could have a better life. Sure, he might of passed the bar test with flying colours but here he sitting on a sofa bruised and bloodied while listening to his friend scream at him about his stupidity. All the times he had to patch up his dad and worry about him was now passed onto others around him. Who was he now?

  Was he the monster he fought every night on the streets or was he a different kind? A creature with a weakness for gorgeous women and scared children? 

  To be fair, he couldn't really tell the women were beautiful. Most women were just attracted to his charm and supposed good looks. In the morning he would hear them stumble out of his house and he would pull his silky sheets to cover his exposed chest while attempting to remember their name. None of them lasted, each relationship only lasting a few weeks before they broke up with him or vice versa. His longest one ending in heartbreak and misery but Foggy was there to help him, he always was. 

  YULIA VOLKOVA COULDN'T HANDLE THE PAIN SHE FELT EVERYDAY. Each memory or thought was just another dig at her already unstable psyche. She could still vividly remember one day where she cried so hard after a nightmare, she vomited.

  All she wanted was her family back. The people who provided unconditional love to her everyday when she was young. But at last, she knew that dream would never come true. Her father let her be human trafficked and brainwashed into a trained killer, her mother died from a bullet wound and her sisters were away. Natasha was saving the world like the super cool hero she was and Yelena was still at the Red Room. She was forever alone.

  Everyday was a continuous cycle; wake up, force food down her throat, go to her fake job, stay hidden from as many cameras as possible, force more food down her throat, occasionally do her real job then sleep. It was better than her previous daily cycle so she refused to complain. 

  Her awful fake job was the last thing on her mind as she sat at her tiny desk with stacks of files . The paperwork for the day was done and all she could do now was wait for some awful request from her pervy boss and complete it. 

  Never in a million years would she be described as a coward but that was all she could call herself when she bolted out of Matt's apartment in an unneeded hurry. Foggy and Matthew needed to talk privately, that was obvious. Matt's face told another story though, he looked distraught when she said she was leaving and she felt... bad when she saw his frown deepen?

  She couldn't understand that feeling. He was hurt and she left, that's simple and easy, so why is she feel a tiny bit of guilt? Her hands covered her now flushed face as she realised. Yulia Volkova had a crush on Matthew Murdock. Stupid crushes were for teenagers not adults so why did she have on him?

  Sure, he was blessed with heavenly good looks, a gorgeous voice, a flirtious personality and a mysterious past but that couldn't make her attracted to him, right?

  Romantic feelings weren't allowed at the Red Room- well just emotions in general- she had never felt like this before. What was she meant to do, confess or act normal? Wait, didn't she promise to check on him? She just keeps digging a hole for herself, doesn't she?

  After a few moments of hiding behind her hands, she finally removed one of them and grabbed her phone from her bag next to her. She skilfully unlocked it and opened messages, the most recent consisted of drunken messages from Jessica and one from Karen. Yulia never gave her phone number to Karen, did Matt or Foggy give it to her? Her thumb pressed on the message to open it, "Have you heard from Matt? Apparently he was in an accident?" 

  Huh, Foggy and Matt must of lied to her. It was most likely better to keep Karen in the dark so she continued on with the lie, "Yeah, found out earlier. Going to check on him later."

  Her phone buzzed immediately after to alert that she got a swift reply from the tall blonde. "I was planning to visit him, want to go together?"

  A thumbs up emoji was sent back to Karen in response. Yulia turned off her phone and refocused on her boss's calender beside her. 

  YOU MIGHT JUST SAY THEY BOTH HAD EXTREME ABANDONMENT ISSUES. That was made clear by just hearing a tiny bit of their past. Two damaged weapons who had yet to figure out the true meaning of life or who they truly were. One believed they were nothing but a killer and the other believed they were God's warrior. They were more alike than they would admit.

  If only they could get over their stupidity and just realise they needed each other, not even romantically- they would both enjoy that though- but just as a friend. Matthew Murdock and Yulia Volkova just needed to know that they weren't alone. They needed somebody who would constantly test them but not push them to their limits and break them. 

  A man who refuses to kill and a woman who can kill in a blink of an eye. What a strange pair.

AUTHOR'S NOTE----------

sorry for how short this is. this is just a filler chapter honestly but I thought it would show their dynamic more???

  i'm actually livid they removed daredevil off netflix, how am i going to see matt's fat ass now? i've been robbed of two very hot, good looking men and a beautiful, gorgeous, fantastic alcoholic who's personality is wayyy too similar to mine. my friend has now inserted the idea of creating a frank castle or klaus mikaelson fanfic in my head, i dont know what to do honestly. also I apologise if I reuse gifs but there are like no gifs for imogen which sucks