02

YULIA WAITED IN THE LINE at a small coffee shop

  YULIA WAITED IN THE LINE at a small coffee shop. She was supposed to pick up coffee and donuts for her boss as usual. Usually the shop was quiet with just a few people there in the morning but the shop took a rise in popularity and more people were coming in. A man talked on the phone behind her seemingly talking to his friend. "What do you mean you aren't coming out with me? It will be awesome!"

  The man radiated happiness, comfort and fun. She couldn't help but listen in to the conversation happening behind her, it was a bad habit of hers. She had always been nosy even as a young child with her family, searching through places where her parents explained were prohibited and eavesdropping on them whispering about some sort of item they needed to retrieve from people. The red room taught her to always pay attention to surroundings and remember the smallest things. Like the way one of the employees at the shop looked up at the clock behind him every ten minutes to count down the minutes until his shift was over. The other, obviously new employee nervously poured drinks and packed food like she was scared to mess even the smallest thing up.

  "I'm your wingman Matt! I help you get the ladies as you charm them with your good looks and words!" The man practically yelled behind her again. Yulia giggled to herself quietly as he kept pleading like a beggar on the street.

  It was finally her time to order but the friendly cashier, she sees most days, knew what she was here for and placed it in front of her before she could even say anything. Yulia handed her the money and thanked her. She grabbed the coffee and donuts and walked out of the shop. She started making her usual route to work but was interrupted when a man suddenly bumped into her and the coffee in the cup leaped out at him. He flinched in pain as the boiling hot coffee scalded his skin and clung to his shirt. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" She panickily asked and immediately grabbing the unused tissue in her pocket and dabbing his shirt to remove the excess drink that now stained his shirt.

  "I'm fine it was my fault, I should be apologising. I bumped into you." His reply slightly calmed her but as she took in his appearance, taking great notice of his cane and red tinted glasses, she realised she spilt coffee on a blind man. He grabbed her wrist putting her movements to a stop, he gave her a small smile before opening his mouth to speak a voice yelled out at them. 

  "Matt!" The same voice from earlier called. This was his friend. A blind ladies man who she had now just poured her boss' coffee on. She sighed softly and he removed his grip from around her wrist as she raised her hand to facepalm herself. "Woah, what happened here?"

  "I just awkwardly ruined your friend's shirt with my coffee, well not mine but y'know." She mumbled from behind her hand. This was just a great start to her day.

  'Matt' chuckled at her words and his smile grew. "My shirt can be replaced and so can your coffee unless it was some really rare special edition coffee." 

  The coffee shop man laughed at his joke. "When I told you to romantically bump into a nice, pretty woman and act like it was an accident but I didn't expect you to actually do that." He nudged Matt's shoulder.

  "How would I even know she's pretty Foggy?"

"I don't know! You always do, you are like a magnet." Foggy shrugged his should then turned towards Yulia. "And who are you?"

  "Julie, I'm guessing he is Matt," pointing at Matt  then at his friend. "And you are the one who wanted to go out with him to 'be his wingman'." 

  "I'm Franklin but my friends call me Foggy- wait hold on, are you spying on me? I'm know I'm beautiful but that's a little creepy."

  Yulia put on a shocked face and raised her hands like she had been caught. She looked in Matt's direction and saw his now serious expression as he stared in her direction like he knew her. He looked almost scared. "I was in the coffee shop and overheard your conversation, sorry for eavesdropping by the way but it was very obvious."

  "Was I that really that loud?" Lowering his head slightly in embarrassment.

  Yulia smiled again and giggled softly. "It was nice meeting you both but I need to go to work before my boss gets grumpy."

  Foggy shook his head and handed her a card. "It's alright, if you ever need a lawyer to sue somebody for bumping into you give us a call!"

  She looked down at the card to see the words 'Nelson and Murdock attorneys at law' written on it, something in braille and their number and office address. She smiled at Foggy and started to walk to work again. She knew her boss would be agitated about the coffee but she could always just get it again later.

  Maybe she could make some temporary friends.