Meow

She heard him in the distance and started to smile. She called out for him a few more times and he eventually came running to her. She ripped open the bag of food and threw some on the ground in front of her. He scarfed the food down like he hadn't eaten in days, which was a big possibility since he looked fairly skinny compared to the house cats that she had seen on the computer.

She threw him handful after handful, allowing him to eat until he didn't want to anymore. Once he finished eating, the cat started to rumble. Kara's eyes widened as she tried to figure out what this cat was doing. She hadn't read anything about it online, so this worried her.

"What's wrong baby? Are you scared?" Kara asked with a frown. The cats eyes slowly closed as the sound got louder. She started to panic.

"I'm sorry!" Kara whimpered. "Did I do something to you?"

The cat started to move closer to Kara, making her back up as she didn't want to harm this cat anymore then she had already. The cat looked up at her in confusion. Kara noticed that he had a streak of white fur that travelled down him back.

"Streak.. Streaky.. I think I like that. Can I name you Streaky?" Kara asked. The cat stopped making the rumbling noise for just a moment, which Kara took as a yes.

"Are you alright, Streaky?" She asked him as he resumed the noise.

"I don't know what that means." She frowned. "Is that bad?"

The cat tried to rub up against her legs, but she continued walking backwards, not wanting to make contact with him in fear that she had hurt him in some way, and this was his way of attacking her back.

"I'm sorry, Streaky!" Kara exclaimed. "I don't know what I did to you!" She started to frown and sat on the ground. The cat let out a long meow as he sat in front of her.

"I'm so bad at living on Earth.." She whispered. "I hurt everyone.."

The cat meowed once again, before started to walk towards her. She scooted backwards and he stopped moving, once again looking at her in confusion.

"I told you, Streaky. I hurt everyone so you shouldn't come near me." Kara frowned. "I'll still feed you though, I know you're probably really hungry all the time."

The cat meowed once again and started walking towards her. This time, she wasn't paying enough attention and he crawled into her lap, laying down on top of her legs. She raised her hands in the air, not wanting to touch him.

"Get off me.." Kara muttered. Streaky started to make that rumbling noise once again and she felt him vibrate.

"I don't know what this means.." Kara frowned, still keeping her arms raised. Streaky cuddled further into her legs, using them to rub his face since she wasn't doing what he wanted.

"This is good, right? You like me buddy?" She asked. The cat meowed and sat up, looking at Kara's hands. He sat on his back legs, using his front ones to reach up towards her hands.

"What are you doing?" Kara asked, feeling worried. She felt his paws hit her hand, and eventually assumed that he wanted her to pet him. She hesitated before reaching down and stroking his back, making sure that she pet him ever so gently. He closed his eyes and continued to rumble, which Kara soon found out was called purring and usually happened when a cat was happy.

This interaction with this young cat made Kara reconsider her decision of blocking everyone out from her life. Maybe if she was gentle enough, she could still have friends? She took this into consideration as she kept petting Streaky and talking to him.

About an hour passed and Kara's phone started to ring. This startled Streaky at first, but to didn't want to leave Kara's side. She answered the phone and raised it to her ear.

"Hi Alex." Kara said.

"Are you alright? Where are you?" Alex asked frantically, as she had been looking for her sister for awhile now and was starting to worry.

"I'm fine. Just went on another walk." Kara responded. Streaky decided this would be a great time to meow.

"Was that the cat?" Alex asked.

"Yes." Kara replied. "Can you put Jeremiah on the phone please?"

"Sure.." There was footsteps followed by some ruffling noises before Jeremiah said hello.

"Hi, Jeremiah." Kara said. "I found the cat."

"You did? How cool!" He said.

"Can I bring him home? I named him Streaky."

"Uhhh... I don't know, Kara. Let me ask Eliza."

He walked away for a few minutes and Kara heard distant talking. She waiting patiently, enjoying the presence of Streaky and continuing to pet him. She heard someone pick up the phone moments later.

"We decided that you can, but you have to be in charge of everything he needs. We'll give you enough money to properly care for him, but you are in charge of cleaning his litter box, feeding, and watering him."

"Deal!" Kara exclaimed.

a/n: I've been doing a lot of authors notes lately, haven't I? Oh well. Anywayssss, this is definitely a filler chapter, but this will come into play later on in the book. Thank you for all of the support on this story <3 

p.s. sorry that it's a shorter chapter, hoping that the next one will be bigger