Chapter 20:

A:N/// hey sorry for the late update, once again. Ngl I've been seriously contemplating just giving up all my stories, but decided to just finish them, even if they take a while. So, thanks for supporting, and enjoy the update! :)

___________________________________________

"So.... Why are you following me?"

"I'm just going somewhere in the same direction."

"Sure you are."

I tried to ignore the footsteps that followed my own, but it was starting to annoy me. I had nowhere to go, and was leading him to God knows where.

We circled around the block before I realized that I didn't hear a thing.

I stopped and peeked behind me.

He was just standing there, with a look on his face. A look that seemed smug. Like he knew exactly what I was doing.

"You don't know where to go, do you?" He let out a small laugh and I rolled my eyes.

"I do! Just waiting for you to get tired and back off!"

He laughed again and pointed behind him. "We could just go back to my house? My mom seems like she would be willing to let you. You don't seem like a bad guy."

I let out a sigh as I weighed my options.

Obviously, going back with him sounded more comfortable, but the idea of being interrogated by his mother on the other hand...

"We won't ask you anymore questions." He promised, like he could hear my thoughts.

"Why do you care where I go?" I asked, turning away.

"It's not just me. My mom and brother both feel sort of bad for you. To sleep on the streets in THIS city? Besides, you were worried about my brother's safety. You're kind of a good person...."

I scoffed. "Kind of?"

He smiled and I rolled my eyes.

"I just can't. I'll find someplace to stay, so don't worry about me. But if you are that worried, just leave me a phone number." I offered.

He hesitated, but complied. He felt around his pockets and found an old receipt.

He gestured me to follow him into an old shop, and I surprising listened, though I did feel nervous by doing so.

We walked in and a bell announced our arrival.

Rome seemed to know the clerk, since they began to chatter away like a couple of brothers before asking for a pen to borrow.

I could feel the clerk's gaze on me as Rome scribbled down his number.

As soon as he was done, he gave the pen back and handed me the receipt.

"Call me, if you're in any trouble.  Promise?"

I nodded but he raised his pinkie, a goofy smile at his lips.

Unamused, I copied him. We linked pinkies and I walked out.

"Don't forget!" He shouted, but I paid him no mind.

I hadn't realized how late it had gotten as the sky turned a darker blue.

I enjoyed the soft night breeze as I searched for a place to stay for the night.

Rome's offer was too generous to take, but it was sounding real reasonable right now.

Even though I didn't want to admit it, I wasn't sure how I was going to survive like this. With no money or items, I felt bare and hopeless. This lifestyle couldn't continue. I knew I had to start somewhere, but I wasn't sure where.