Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I wanted to run to the room, and yet, I wanted to run the other way...

Why everything has to be confusing?

Or...is it just me ?

Ugh...

I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't register that we had walked out of the elevator or that we had entered an amazingly elegant suite. The click the door made when it was closed brought me back. Or maybe the fact that I was stupidly gaping at the two sofas, or the glass chandelier that was above them, or the beautifully arranged orchids on the table in front of us...

Scott leaned on the door studying me. My chest was rising uncontrollably as he started to approach me.

He took one step at a time and I could see his pupils dilated, making his eyes seem much darker. His hat flew to the other side of the room and his brown aviator sunglasses were left on one of the sofas.

I tried to swallow the uncomfortable lump in my throat and for the life of me, I couldn't move. Not even breathe. He must have sensed my panic because he stopped when there was not more than five inches separating us.

"You are scared." It wasn't a question. He was just stating the obvious.

"Breathe, Emily." His dark eyes roamed all over my face, "you don't have to do anything that you don't want to..."

Well, that's the problem.

I WANT TO.

But...

What if that's the only thing that he wants?

What if we sleep together and tomorrow he'll lose any interest in me?

What if?

At some point I had to take a harsh intake of breath, since I was about to turn blue.

Scott gently caressed my cheek. His dark eyes bored into mine and a small smirk formed on his lips. He took a step away from me and started unbuttoning his shirt. My eyes widened as he took it off. Still smiling, he reached it towards me. "You're going to need a pajama."

Numbly, I grabbed the shirt still panting hard. His smirk grew wider as he leaned to me and our lips met. He kissed me with so much passion that not only butterflies erupted in my stomach, but my whole body felt tingles and goose bumps appeared on my skin. He deepened the kiss and my hands entangled on his brown hair at the same time his arms slide on my waist bringing me closer to him.

Too soon he pulled apart. We were both breathless. His shirt was now lying on the floor as I got lost in the moment. Something that happened every time he kissed me. Scott's smirk showed up on his lips one more time, before he huskily whispered, "good night, beautiful."

He turned around and got in one of the two doors that were next to us. Before he closed it, his eyes travelled hungrily from the top of my head to the tip of my shoes. That simple gesture sent my heart to overdrive. Again.

Then, he closed the door.

My mouth dropped open and my eyebrows frowned. My shoulders sagged and I must have stayed glaring at the stupid door for more than ten minutes. I was still hoping that it was a joke and he would come outside smirking again.

He didn't.

Completely disappointed, I forced myself to get inside the other room. My feet were numb as the rest of my body. Sighing, I didn't even look around the posh room; I simply walked to the bathroom with Scott's shirt on my hand and settled for a warm shower.

Was I relived? Or disappointed?

I'm such a mess.

I must be bipolar or something like that.